Re: Should tests run on a two CPU system?

In article
<514f63dd-c93d-4e8f-9186-be9b43085724@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
llothar@xxxxxx (llothar) wrote:

Is it necessary for QA to run multithreaded programms on systems with
two CPU's and separate Caches or will one Dualcore CPU be enough for
the usual posix thread based Apps?

When testing for reliability, rather than performance, we find a few
problems show up on systems with four cores that don't show up on ones
with two cores. These are almost certainly in the category of "problems
that could show up on two cores, and almost never manage to do so, but
show up on four cores regularly".

It is extraordinarily hard to be sure that one has got rid of *all*
intermittent problems in multi-threaded code.

--
John Dallman, jgd@xxxxxxxxx, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.

  • Re: VB6 Error Handling
    ... As I see it, the multicore cpu's, support circuits and bios will handle ... the distribution of load independent of OS, apps etc. ... know if and how execution is split between cores. ... from beeing so far 'only' used in servers. ...
  • Re: VB6 Error Handling
    ... As I see it, the multicore cpu's, support circuits and bios will handle the distribution of load independent of OS, apps etc. ... Still I don't know if and how execution is split between cores. ... My bet is though that core-sharing is a bios/cpu/mb support circuit task, where the OS and hence apps have no way to take action. ...
  • Re: multi-core ramifications w.r.t the monolithic linux kernel
    ... that many cores. ... I think the biggest consideration is the market size (of multi-core ... never had any substantial experience doing multi-threaded programming ... The separate-state class of apps appears by far to be the most ...
    (comp.arch)
  • Re: multi-core ramifications w.r.t the monolithic linux kernel
    ... that many cores. ... multi-core. ... never had any substantial experience doing multi-threaded programming ... The separate-state class of apps appears by far to be the most ...
    (comp.arch)
  • Re: VB6 Error Handling
    ... As I see it, the multicore cpu's, support circuits and bios will handle ... the distribution of load independent of OS, apps etc. ... if and how execution is split between cores. ...