Re: I only want to print in BLACK.
- From: Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 12:45:07 GMT
If this model doesn't have any IC chips on the outside of the cartridge, you can, as Tony suggests, just fill the cartridge with water or anything that is safe for the printer (water with a small bit of isopropyl alcohol would work as well). Reinstalling the cartridge should allow the printer to work again. However, if this model has a chip on the back of the cartridge, you will need t have these chips reset to "full" with a resetter, found on ebay for $5-10 for instance. Or your ink refiller may provide this service inexpensively. You will need to do this again when the cartridge's contents is used up again from cleaning cycles.
"Morris.C" <mrnc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:.
This must be something someone's done before:
Does anyone know if it's possible to make a printer continue to print in black if the colour cartridge is empty?
I have an oldish Epson Stylus Colour 580 that I really don't want to print in colour anymore, AND I don't want to replace the colour cartridge.
(These models use up ink every time you start/stop it. Self-cleaning if I remember rightly!) There must be some sort of sensor that can be by-passed?
Has anyone done this before?
Is there a web-site that may be able to help me?
Any help would be appreciated.
The general answer is yes, a small number of printers can be made to print with an empty or missing cartridge but so far as I know the only printers this applies to are some of those with printheads built into the cartridge.
Specifically this cannot be done with this printer.
The reason for this is that if the printer runs without ink the printhead will be permanently damaged so modifying the printer would be both counterproductive and extremely difficult.
The cheapest options are -
1. Refill the colour cartridge with water or cheap ink so that the printer thinks there is ink in the cartridge and the printhead does not become damaged.
2. Buy the cheapest compatible that you can since you don't care about colour print quality.
- Prev by Date: Removing cover : Epson Colour Stylus 600
- Next by Date: Re: I only want to print in BLACK.
- Previous by thread: Re: I only want to print in BLACK.
- Next by thread: Re: I only want to print in BLACK.