[9fans] C++ support [was: TeX: hurrah!]

The lack of C++ is going to hinder efforts to port these projects to
Plan 9 as-is; and these are significant efforts, not likely to be
duplicated by 9fans. (Perhaps the C++ library for PDF handling can be
rewritten in C, and then XeTeX & LuaTeX can be ported. But don't
expect the projects to use the rewrite in favor of the original
libraries.)

In the spirit of offering possible useful information while not being in the
slightest bit interested in either porting a compiler or writing a converter
at this time, I had the thought "why not write a C++ to C converter" like the
old f2c I used back before g77/g95 came out. In anticipation of another flame
drizzle, I am not reading these threads thinking that everyone is asking me to
write these things for them, nor are my contributions necessarily asking
others to develop such projects for me. When I have written my own posts it
was intended to ask if anyone has done this, something similar, or even tried
it. I like orienting myself a little before spending hundreds of hours --
only to find that I have reinvented the wheel.

I poked around a little and found the following info:

http://www.programmersheaven.com/mb/CandCPP/82212/82212/c++-to-c-converter/
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/c-programming/106880-there-any-up-date-cplusplus-c-converter.html

apparently LLVM can be used to convert C++ to C; I had not know that:
http://llvm.org/docs/FAQ.html#translatecxx

I remember seeing someone interested in porting LLVM to Plan 9. Maybe that
would help get you going.

EBo --

  • Re: Best class decompiler?
    ... has the exact same functionality as the unreadable code. ... there is the very urgent need to fully understand what the bad code does - a task that is required regardless of whether you rewrite from scratch or adapt from existing code. ... Hibernate is a robust and rather complete set of libraries. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Looking for quantifiable data on the effects of disasters on business (mostly financial services
    ... "disaster recovery" cost analysis will also yield some ... >That's not how you justify a disaster recovery plan. ... >of T libraries are usually restricted to students, ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Why Case Sensitive?
    ... > In the real world you only write the bits of the "any program" routines you need now, but you design and implement them to allow for the inevitable future changes in requirements. ... so you think that neither the X library nor the standard C libraries are examples? ... If you had considered that other ways of doing options might come in to play and had coded accordingly then you don't need a rewrite even though you had not coded for that specific way, if you had not then you might need a complete rewrite. ... In the real world SW has to meet real requirements that are not under the control of the developer because they are the *customers* requirements, ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Looking for quantifiable data on the effects of disasters on business (mostly financial services
    ... search engine to learn about DR, etc., they are not the of person I ... Guees who the loser ... >>That's not how you justify a disaster recovery plan. ... >>of T libraries are usually restricted to students, ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: [9fans] Multimedia on Plan 9
    ... While madplay does a good job of playing MP3s, ... There are large number of other A/V formats out there, ... How difficult would it be to develop a native Plan ... Note that most A/V libraries out there make ...
    (comp.os.plan9)