Re: Intel 82562V 10/100 Network Adapter driver

You know I might have this? But then please read on ...

Massimiliano Campagnoli wrote:

I've got a Dell XPS 210 that mounts an Intel Pro 10/100 adapter based
on 82562V chipset (8086:104c). Any hope to make it working on ECS/OS/
2 ?

The latest Intel NIC driver packages I have are:

8-24-04 8:54a 51914 0 IBMGU.EXE
9-05-04 3:19p 1489 29 IBMGU.TXT
3-18-05 11:17p 29218 0 INTELNIC.ZIP

But based on the support documentations in the IBMGU.TXT file above what is claimed as supported is:

The OS/2 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Driver provides support
for the Intel PRO/1000 Family of Copper and Fiber Adapters
for the following hardware controllers:

1. Intel 82540EM controller based Copper Gigabit Ethernet Adapters
2. Intel 82540EP controller based Copper Gigabit Ethernet Adapters
3. Intel 82541EI controller based Copper Gigabit Ethernet Adapters
4. Intel 82544EI controller based Copper Gigabit Ethernet Adapters
5. Intel 82544GC controller based Copper Gigabit Ethernet Adapters
6. Intel 82540 controller based Fiber Gigabit Ethernet Adapters
7. Intel 82544EI controller based Fiber Gigabit Ethernet Adapters
8. Intel 82543GC controller based Fiber Gigabit Ethernet Adapters

This driver will not work with any Intel PRO/1000 82543GC controller
based Copper Gigabit Adapter or earlier versions.

The Intel driver package above is for the 1000 level chipset. The support levels from the above do work for whatever is in the Intel 915GAV/GEV level motherboards, which I have working here with the PRO/100-1000 level NIC chipsets for them.

However .. I'm not sure, for example that the NIC chipset on the Intel 945 series motherboards works with what I have. My memory of the research on all this with the Intel motherboard work is that even though the actual driver operation for the different numbered controllers might be the same, the simple difference in the number of the chipset in the driver buildup prevented the driver from being used!

My memory of this work is that, per IBM's suggestion, I sent a request to Intel to get them to perhaps release or re-release a later version of the Intel driver which would enable the different numeric ID in the driver for OS/2. As I recall, Intel never formally answered the formal request for support which was properly left on their tech support input request interface. But that doesn't mean the driver for any given release date doesn't have a 'fix' in it! Thus, the possible best way to approach your problem is to log on to the Intel Tech Support web site.

From there, as I recall, you can go down to find the chip set support and somehow wind up able to get support for the PRO100/1000 chipset there. From there you get to download the support package, but then be prepared for a mess.

The support package is a WINDOWS executable file un-archiver which you will have to run on a WINDOWS based computer! I then had to un-archive it into the files in the package and save them in a discrete directory on the WINDOWS machine. And in that directory, with the other files, are the OS/2 support files for the OS/2 version of support for the PRO100/1000 chipsets. Which you then UNZIP into the needed files which are then can be copied into the proper place in the TCP/IP setup operation to choose your network chipset in the setup operation for the local LAN setup in OS/2.

Thus .. if possible, it would be the best thing for you to attempt to draw down the support you need from the Intel support site first, OK?

--

--> Sleep well; OS2's still awake! ;)

Mike Luther