Re: Finding the IP of a device from the MAC number

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:53:23 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
<abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:22:00 +0200, Stuart Gray <srtgrayNOT@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > I have a device on our LAN for which I know the MAC address - how can I
> > find the IP address? WSeB, DNCP and DDNS running.
>
> You can try looking in the ARP table using "arp -a".

I thought that...and then I couldn't think of a way that, if he didn't
know the IP address, it would have got into the ARP table to start
with...

  • Re: Potential Security Flaw in Symantec Gateway Security 360R
    ... very serious mistake in the Enforce VPN tunnels code. ... It is dependent on MAC ... SGS checks to see if packet is DNS, DHCP, ARP or ICMP ... The appliance changes the virtual lan ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Scanning LAN
    ... them to MAC addresses through arp. ... If you want to follow the usage of addresses in your LAN on a regular ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Machines on LAN
    ... on a LAN? ... will list the ip and mac for all the machines yours has talked to recently. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: I need guidance about how to configure a newly installed Jessie
    ... On 'big' ifconfig gives: ... UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 ... For arp -n -v I get: ... I don't have a authoritative information as to whether or not these MAC addresses ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [SLE] ethereal
    ... ARP is "address resolution protocol". ... ethernet connections are between hardware or MAC addresses, ... address of your ethernet card -- and obviously (I hope it's obvious ... most often consisting only of your gateway. ...
    (SuSE)