Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

In <1186184379.940277.98010@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 08/03/2007
at 04:39 PM, The OS/2 Guy <os2guy@xxxxxxxxx> said:

I dunno, you guys just aren't "getting it" when it comes to the iPhone.

We get it. We just don't *need it. And you don't seem to get that.

The iPhone is actually a small hand held computer and something the cell
phone wishes it could be. The fact that you can use the iPhone as a cell
phone is simply one of many features it offers. You can send and receive
all of your email from a variety of email accounts. You can write and
send email and SMS messages. You have a full blown working browser that
will allow you to visit any web page or Google newsgroup you want no
matter where you are or what you are doing. Do you understand that?
Does it sink in at all?

You have a great many desktop icons (applications) and you can assign
many more. You have an silent snapping camera that takes excellent
pictures in portrait or landscape mode - and you can instantly send those
photos to anyone with an email address. Are you invested in stocks? You
can add your entire portfolio to the stocks icon and receive real time
updates as they happen. Same with weather and you can monitor the
weather in hundreds of locations all around the world. You have a note
pad to take notes by the minute, hour, day, week, month... You have a
calendar to schedule meetings and receive real-time alerts prior to those
appointments to ensure you meet them on time.

You have access -including driving instructions - to Google Maps so no
matter where you are you can view your location by satellite or street
map and find your way to your destination. There is a multifunctional
world clock and a fine calculator. You have a full photo gallery of
pictures you have taken or care to import and show to others in landscape
or portfolio mode.

You have Apple's best and most amazing video/music iPod offered to date.
Most of you, I'm sure, have never heard the beauty of music on an iPod
much less watched a video and granted, the standard iPod's video screen
is small but not the iPhone video which displays in landscape mode, wide
screen, high-definition and is so amazing that when I'm watching a movie
or TV show most people around me peer over my shoulder and comment
"that's so beautiful - it is so clear, how do they do that?"

But why would you want to watch a movie on an iPhone? To fill that time
you would necessarily lose when forced to wait - like riding Metro to
work, while on an airplane and the movie they are offering sucks and
you've got "The Simpsons, The Movie" at your fingertips, during a lunch
hour when you just want to escape the busy world around you - the video
moments are endless. I find myself looking forward to or grabbing the
time to watch the latest episode of "Man vs Wild" (have you seen this
series? This Aussie gets dropped via helicopter into a hazardous hostile
place with only a flint and small knife and has to make his way to
civilization facing unbelievable obstacles. Example: To keep warm in the
frozen artic he climbs into the body of a dead elk; during a desert
episode he literally drinks his own urine to stave off dehydration; he
will eat poisonous tarantulas by pinching off their poisonous heads so he
doesn't die -
sometimes it is so gross you can't believe anyone would do it but the
information he provides is vital if you found yourself in such a hostile
environment.).

And the music - oh my G... it is so amazing.

Now let's talk about the "phone" portion of the iPhone. Here's why it is
different and beyond the standard flip-phone. For one, with the earbuds
in place you do not have to talk into the iPhone itself at all. You see
all those people leaning to the right, their hand holding a flip phone to
their head and jabbering loudly making sure every passerby knows they are
on the phone. So you've got the iPhone and you're listening to music or
watching a movie and your wife calls. The music/video fades quickly and
you get a soft two-sound beep. A pinch of the miniscule microphone,
which sits on the cord of the earbuds exactly at mouth level, answers the
call for you. You don't have to hold an apparatus to your face, you just
talk. And you can whisper. The caller hears you just fine and you hear
the caller in stereo - not one ear but in both ears. So now when you see
someone with what looks to be an iPod with white earbuds walking down the
street talking you can be assured he is sane and talking into the
microphone of the iPhone. And I'm sure you've seen those cell phone
users holding their cord up so the microphone is at mouth level. You
don't have to do that at all with the iPhone's earbud microphone. You
just talk.

But wearing the earbuds all the time just to take calls is not always
kosher. So you use the Apple BlueTooth headset which is so tiny and
powerful that you simply touch the sweet spot on the headset and you can
hear and talk to the incoming caller. The tiny headset rides against
your upper jaw bone and the microphone embedded in the headset is so
sensitive that the caller hears you perfectly, even when outdoors.

And, of course, you can use the iPhone in the traditional way, holding
the actual iPhone against your ear and talking into the thing just as you
would any other cell phone. The difference here is, the iPhone's
display, when touched against your head/cheek, dims - pull it away and it
brightens.

Battery life. If you used all the features of the iPhone all day long -
that is, took and made calls, listened to music, watched videos, sent
emails and text messages, monitored web sites, checked the weather, your
stocks, fed and took care of your iCat (a virtual pet game) and wrote
notes and calendar entries from the moment you got up in the morning,
your iPhone would operate for at least seven full hours, generally nine
hours. That's a full business day. To recharge you simply use any iPod
to computer connection or the iPhone dock and you're back in business
with a fully charged battery in 15 minutes. Ever try that with a cell
phone?

If you use the iPhone for just watching videos then you can do so for 16
hours. That means you could fly to Hawaii and back from SF 5 times
before having to recharge. For just music you can listen for a full 48
hours. You'll be able to sit in standby mode for 256 hours -
longer then any cell phone on the market today. The battery has a shelf
life of seven years. There is a great outcry by Apple's detractors over
the fact that Apple charges $80 for a battery replacement. Bottom line
here - if you still own your iPhone in seven years (when the battery
finally gives out) then $80 for a new battery is entirely justifiable.
OTOH, add up the cost of the battery replacements you have to buy for
your Nokia and you'll far exceed $80 over a seven year period. (Duh...)

Did we talk about the virtual keyboard which every other cell phone
manufacturer is whining about? They are whining because they didn't come
up with it themselves, instead, their cell phones must include the
unsightly tiny little push buttons that so many teens become experts at
using their tiny two thumbs. The iPhone virtual keyboard is nearly a
standard keyboard layout but it teaches itself to work with you the more
you use it. If you address your message to "Rumplestiltskin" it will
figure this out quickly and by the time you insert the Ru the word
Rumplestiltskin will pop to screen. And yes, you can two thumb it. When
you touch the key the letter is magnified so you know exactly what key
you have pressed. If you misspell, it corrects that misspelling for you.
So in reality, the iPhone virtual keyboard is not only a more advanced
keyboard then the standard cell phone (or Blackberry or Treo) but it is
intuitive and faster.

Now for those of you who say "All I need is a $5 Nokia from
Goodwill.." then best of luck to you. Hopefully you can get your kid's
wagon and plop your old desktop, monitor, keyboard and mouse and a set of
speakers in it and when you need to send off a quick message, check a
Google map for direction, look to see how much you've lost in the stock
market, or listen to music you can find some electricity somewhere and
plug that monstrosity in.

But for me and for millions of other cell phone users, the iPhone has
changed the cell phone industry and pushed all those Nokias, Motorolas
and Sonys over and onto their backs. Their little legs are twitching and
fighting to flip over and they just can't do it.

Do you get it now?

Tim...

  • Re: How to get a loaner iPhone
    ... The iPhone changes the ENTIRE cell phone ... discussion over soldering in the battery. ... please use logic next time Peter. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense
    ... The iPhone is actually a small hand held computer and something the ... as a cell phone is simply one of many features it offers. ... you're back in business with a fully charged battery in 15 minutes. ... Did we talk about the virtual keyboard which every other cell phone ...
    (comp.os.os2.misc)
  • Re: Obama denie gay marriage to four year old terrorist
    ... You have to pull the battery. ... If your cell phone is an iPhone, then pulling the battery is not ... I have an iPhone and turned it off. ... kind of real-time tracking is nearly impossible. ...
    (rec.sport.golf)
  • Re: How to get a loaner iPhone
    ... And if you're relying on tape of all things to secure the battery ... BUT you've never had an Apple iPhone correct? ... made user replaceable without any cost in reliability? ... the iPhone will be the main cell phone for the next few ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • NYT: iPhone Spin Goes Round and Round
    ... the iPhone tom-toms were beating in earnest. ... There were only four of them, for Apple had allowed only ... battery starts to lose capacity after 300 to 400 charges. ... With Apple taking the position that the battery replacement issue was ...
    (misc.consumers)