Deferred: Input/output error [MS Exchange]

Hi comp.mail.sendmail,

I would like to share my experience with resolving following error in its certain incarnation:
451 4.4.1 reply: read error from mail.hsrpro.com.
<someaddress@xxxxxxxxxx>... Deferred: Input/output error

After I have released recompiled version of Sendmail into production few weeks ago, intermittent issue with email delivery to some recipients from our SMTP servers started occurring.

We have traced the issue to MS Exchange, specific versions we had troubles with are : 6.0.3790.4675 and 6.0.3790.1830

New compilation of sendmail binary was done with openssl 1.0.1, when I have reverted back to 0.9.8u - communication error with MS Exchange vanished.

I clearly understand that there is no Sendmail guilt in that, it works with openssl-1.0.1 perfectly. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who encounters with the same issue, since I have spent few days thinking of what could it be before actually went to solution.

  • Re: Resolving External MTA MX Records Incorrectly
    ... Microsoft Certified Partner ... Front-End Server resolving the IP addresses and sending the e-mail directly ... Exchange Messaging Engineer ...
  • Re: Trouble with New Exchange 2003 install and the Outlook XP clie
    ... > My DNS and WINS is resolving fine as well. ... > name and click the "Check Name" button, in the email account for Exchange, ... >> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] ... >> -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.clients)
  • Resolving an address
    ... Im using CDO for Exchange 2000. ... Im retrieving an email address from an access database but when I specify ... The reason I am using the string format is because it wont send the email ... resolving the address and simply send it to the string email address. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.applications)
  • Resolving an address
    ... Im using CDO for Exchange 2000. ... Im retrieving an email address from an access database but when I specify ... The reason I am using the string format is because it wont send the email ... resolving the address and simply send it to the string email address. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.development)
  • Re: Adprep /forestprep error
    ... For more information on resolving the ... there is a schema conflict eith Exchange 2000. ... The schema conflict must be resolved before running adprep. ...