help diagnosing smtp auth problem

I'm running into a problem with Sendmail trying to implement SMTP-
auth. I"m running 8.14.5 and have saslauthd running.

I don't believe I have starttls enabled - just looking for basic auth,
but am wondering if my configuration is not compatible with modern
mail clients? I don't think I have any certs set up.

It seems an older version of Microsoft Outlook Express works fine with
SMTP-auth with no problems, but Outlook 2010 won't work, and neither
will Eudora (basic settings to not use encryption and use same uid/pw
as pop3 account name)

When trying to send mail the server reports: "550 571 Relaying Denied.
Proper authentication required."

Is there some config that I am missing? Why does it work with Outlook
Express but not other e-mail clients?

my site.config.m4 has:

APPENDDEF(`confENVDEF', `-DSASL=2')
APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_LIBS', `-lsasl2')
dnl APPENDDEF(`confLIBDIRS', `-L/usr/local/lib/sasl2')
APPENDDEF(`confLIBDIRS', `-L/usr/local/lib')
APPENDDEF(`confINCDIRS', `-I/usr/local/include')

# telnet localhost 587
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 xxxt ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.5/8.14.5; Fri, 15 Jun 2012 18:28:03 -0500
(CDT)
ehlo localhost
250-xxxx Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-AUTH GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP

  • Re: help diagnosing smtp auth problem
    ...  I"m running 8.14.5 and have saslauthd running. ... I don't believe I have starttls enabled - just looking for basic auth, ... `LOGIN PLAIN GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM- ... Connected to localhost. ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: account info must be re-entered everytime I login
    ... I don't know just how it is getting set to localhost. ... MS-MVP - Outlook Express ... I had tried totally disabling my McAfee security (firewall, email, virus ... "Kuay Tim" wrote: ...
  • Re: Outlook and Localhost
    ... It's not Outlook Express doing that. ... Your Anti-virus software changes the POP3 server name to localhost, ... > Everytime I restart my computer outlook express changes> from my desired incoming mail server to localhost ...
    (microsoft.public.internet.mail)
  • Outlook 2000 Account Settings keep changing.
    ... We use Comcast Email and Outlook 2000 on one Win98 and many Win2k and WinXP ... The Win98 machine does this all the time, and now a Win2k machine has done ... I check the Account settings and on the Servers tab the Incoming Mail ... settings will say Localhost. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: No Fix as yet to password problem in outlook 2003
    ... If Panda is acting as a proxy between Outlook and the mail server, ... server names in your mail account properties generally get changed to ... There are some race conditions and known issues about Outlook ... ps - Windows XP also makes changes on how localhost works. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)