Re: sorry, your envelope sender domain must exist

In article <1157450027.456251.312870@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"thomasriise" <thomasriise@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Guys,

1) I'm running OS X Tiger.
2) I haven't configured sendmail - not even sendmail.cf

That's good, because on Tiger nothing uses sendmail.cf. The executable
at /usr/sbin/sendmail is actually a mostly-sendmail-like program that is
part of the Postfix package. It is not the real Sendmail.

3) I can send OK to some emails (eg. gmail) but not my own POP-mail.

I'm not sure what that sentence means. POP is a mail pickup protocol. It
has nothing to do with sending mail.

I get the error:
--------
552 sorry, your envelope sender domain must exist (#5.7.1) (in reply to
RCPT TO command)
--------

In what context?

If you are getting a message back with that error, it would be helpful
to look at nthat whole message rather than just the one line.

That particular error message indicates that in an SMTP conversation,
the sending side used a MAIL command with a sender address whose domain
could not be resolved by the server.

My shellscript that sends the mail looks like this:

/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t -odb<<EOF
`echo "To: $recip"`
`echo "From: Myname <myname@xxxxxxxxxxxx>"`
`echo "Reply-To: Myname <myname@xxxxxxxxxxxx>"`
`echo "Subject: $sub"`
`echo ""`
`echo "$body"`
EOF

Ewww. Why are you doing it that way? Is there some point in backticking
a bunch of echo's rather than just putting the lines you want in the
heredoc part directly?

What to do?

man sendmail

That will show you what the Postfix sendmail compatibility program that
you are using is capable of doing. I suspect that your basic problem is
a confused identity for the machine you are running this on: it has
worked out a name for itself that isn't in DNS. That hostname and the
username running the command are used to construct the envelope sender
address, without regard to what address is in the From header of the
message. If the host named is bogus, some sites will not accept the
mail.

--
Clues for the blacklisted: <http://www.scconsult.com/bill/dnsblhelp.html>
Current Peeve: "This page was written to render correctly in any standards