Re: Telnet "More?"

Christopher Dicely wrote in post #993345:
It looks like the server is sending something other than the default
prompt and expecting a response; you probably need to handle that
case.

Yes, but I'm wondering *why* this happens with the Ruby client. It's
hard as hell to search the web for the "More?" response, because search
engines ignore the "?" leaving you search for "More" (pun not indented,
but apropos).

If you use telnet directly (from the console, not a script) and do the
same sequence of commands, what happens?

It works fine. It also works fine using the Python client.

But so far, in my extremely superficial comparison of the languages, I'm
liking Ruby better. I like that regex is a first class citizen (/f?o/i
is a hell of a lot better than re.compile('f?o', re.IGNORECASE)), and I
like the implementation of Ruby's telnet library better (passing blocks
to receive output is a nice touch). Unfortunately, a straight-forward
use of the library is provoking a weird response from the server.

  • Re: Ive never used Ebay, but Craigslist rocks!
    ... > days to get a response to an ad he placed, so I thought what the hell, ... Craigslist is great for things difficult to ship, ... three times as much on eBay as Craigslist. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: Ive never used Ebay, but Craigslist rocks!
    ... accessories). ... didn't think of them when I went to try and sell this stuff. ... > days to get a response to an ad he placed, so I thought what the hell, ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: Hell on Earth
    ... Hell is in Iraq amongst other places... ... If this is what Buddhism did to your cognition, ... It's an action which leads to suffering. ... It's not a reflective response. ...
    (talk.religion.buddhism)
  • Re: RIP - TamPaxDC, air guitarist
    ... Fat chance huh? ... how many of us are interested in changing our ways in response to ... because I said what the hell, ... up over a Usenet flame fest that you start typing that sort of thing, yikes, ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Re:Subject?
    ... what the hell are you smoking? ... Your original question was about if you should start a ... So actually shot his ignorant response to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)