How to pass/return a string to calling program?

Greetings,

I have a daemon running (linux server) which listens and receives
service requests from a client, executes the script (which performs the
services) and then returns a message (returned from the script) back to
the client.

So I'm having some trouble getting a message back to the client. In my
perl scripts a simple "print msg_string" followed by an exit(x) will
pass the msg_string to the daemon which then sends it back to the
client. In ruby I've tried without success:

puts msg_string
exit

print msg_string
exit