Re: For performance, write it in C

On 7/28/06, Keith Gaughan <kmgaughan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 02:42:30PM +0900, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 02:26:37PM +0900, Keith Gaughan wrote:

> > But Wine is an emulator, and while it does a good job approaching the
> > speed of Windows, it doesn't hit it, nor can it hit it. You're not
> > comparing like with like. Now that's far from sporting.
>
> Actually, no, it's not an emulator.

Yes, it is. It's a set of libraries and executables that emulate a
Windows environment.

The name 'Wine' derives from the recursive acronym "Wine Is Not an
Emulator" (rather, it implements a compatibility layer), although some
have used the unofficial expansion "Windows Emulator" [0]

As Wine's name says: "Wine Is Not an Emulator" [1]

Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X
and Unix. Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows
programs [2]

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29
[1] http://www.winehq.com/site/myths
[2] http://www.winehq.com/

Peace,
Ed
--
Encontrá a "Tu psicópata favorito" http://tuxmaniac.blogspot.com

Thou shalt study thy libraries and strive not to reinvent them without cause,
that thy code may be short and readable and thy days pleasant and productive.
-- Seventh commandment for C programmers

I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to
make it shorter.
-- Blaise Pascal

.