Re: For performance, write it in C

On 7/28/06, Keith Gaughan <kmgaughan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 02:42:30PM +0900, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 02:26:37PM +0900, Keith Gaughan wrote:

> > But Wine is an emulator, and while it does a good job approaching the
> > speed of Windows, it doesn't hit it, nor can it hit it. You're not
> > comparing like with like. Now that's far from sporting.
>
> Actually, no, it's not an emulator.

Yes, it is. It's a set of libraries and executables that emulate a
Windows environment.

The name 'Wine' derives from the recursive acronym "Wine Is Not an
Emulator" (rather, it implements a compatibility layer), although some
have used the unofficial expansion "Windows Emulator" [0]

As Wine's name says: "Wine Is Not an Emulator" [1]

Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X
and Unix. Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows
programs [2]

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29
[1] http://www.winehq.com/site/myths
[2] http://www.winehq.com/

Peace,
Ed
--
Encontrá a "Tu psicópata favorito" http://tuxmaniac.blogspot.com

Thou shalt study thy libraries and strive not to reinvent them without cause,
that thy code may be short and readable and thy days pleasant and productive.
-- Seventh commandment for C programmers

I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to
make it shorter.
-- Blaise Pascal

  • Re: For performance, write it in C
    ... interface is entirely delegated to Windows, ... environment except insofar as it runs without that environment. ... "WINE Is Not an Emulator". ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: Building computer
    ... Obviously it eats more running through Wine emulation. ... computer, it does not emulate the windows' kernel, it emulates nothing. ... Whether you call it an emulator, translator, simulator, or Santa ... Of course, on a more technical point, I can agree that one more layer for OpenGL related stuff might have a cost. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: which windows emulator?
    ... In any event, you can certainly try WINE, and it might well work. ... > an emulator working? ... some genuine Windows DLL files. ... they set up a virtual machine that runs the real Windows OS within Linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Is MS-Windows death?
    ... First of all, in terms of functionality, Wine does not offer full ... compatibility with Windows due to the fact that Windows is very ... GNU/Linux as "an alternative to Windows" has no need for Wine. ... Microsoft networks as a Windows NT Server emulator, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Building computer
    ... Obviously it eats more running through Wine emulation. ... Whether you call it an emulator, translator, simulator, or Santa Claus, ... or a proprietary vendor binary only driver. ... etc. So there's not question a given game can run ...
    (Debian-User)