Exploring cmd line issues with WinXP

I finally sat down and wrote something about some issues concerning Rexx and WinXP I had after switching from OS/2 to WinXP back in 2003.

The first paragraph of the text may give an idea of the content:

"While there's nothing wrong with either Windows XP or (oo)Rexx running under it, a user may get some unexpected results when working with a command line orientated tool like a Rexx interpreter. Generally, those unexpected behaviours are not bound to (oo)Rexx but to the underlying design of Windows and how the command line is implemented into the whole scenery. It may be helpful to explore some of the basic interactions between Rexx routines, the Rexx interpreter and Windows facilities to overcome some limitations and get a little bit more productive. .."

Obviously this is strictly a single users (! not programmer) perspective but it may eventually help to take the first step.

You can find the text at http://board.3stepsbehind.de/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162

Any corrections, additions or comments are welcome.

Best,
Andreas

  • Re: Which file extension to use: .cmd or .rex?
    ... I think the OP is using ooRexx on Windows. ... OS/2's CMD.EXE was the way to invoke the Rexx interpreter on that platform. ... On Linux and Windows, however, there is not the built-in Rexx detector in the shell, therefor the .rex extension is used and can be associated with the Rexx interpreter. ...
    (comp.lang.rexx)
  • Re: pipe < doesnt work in Windows xp? I get an error saying its not a command...
    ... 'pipe <' fn ft fm, ... and google only comes up with 1 function that rexx has and thats ... trying to rewrite his program in windows and then running it on the ... If I'm using only built in functions and no system commands would ...
    (comp.lang.rexx)
  • Re: Can foreground and background colors be queried?
    ... (I haven't booted Windows to test ... The Rexx program I wrote under Personnel Rexx has worked for me as ... (of multiple colors), indentation, extra spaces, boxing (with ... block characters, audio alarm, a scale, time delay ...
    (comp.lang.rexx)
  • Re: REXX on linux
    ... Reginald for Windows has a GUI builder, ... It's part of the Windows IDE known as "REXX Programmer Center". ...
    (comp.lang.rexx)
  • Re: Mainframe performance tips?
    ... Maybe TSO has an equivalent? ... I use this technique under Windows; my R: ... Back talking about Rexx: loading the routines in memory is only one ... the tokenisation is run ...
    (comp.lang.rexx)