ANN: ConfigObj 4.0.0 Beta 4
- From: "Fuzzyman" <fuzzyman@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: 8 Sep 2005 08:14:24 -0700
ConfigObj 4.0.0 has a beta 4 release. This fixes a couple of moderately
serious bugs - so it's worth switching to.
What's New ?
(Since Beta 2 the last announced version)
Fixed bug in initialising ConfigObj from a ConfigObj.
Changed the mailing list address.
Fixed bug in ``Section__delitem__`` oops.
Interpolation is switched off before writing out files.
Fixed bug in handling ``StringIO`` instances. (Thanks to report
"Gustavo Niemeyer" <gustavo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>)
Moved the doctests from the ``__init__`` method to a separate
(For the sake of IDE calltips).
String values unchanged by validation *aren't* reset. This
interpolation in string values.
What is ConfigObj ?
ConfigObj is a simple but powerful config file reader and writer: an
ini file round tripper. Its main feature is that it is very easy to
use, with a straightforward programmer's interface and a simple syntax
for config files. It has lots of other features though :
* Nested sections (subsections), to any level
* List values
* Multiple line values
* String interpolation (substitution)
* Integrated with a powerful validation system
o including automatic type checking/conversion
o allowing default values
o repeated sections
* All comments in the file are preserved
* The order of keys/sections is preserved
* No external dependencies
ConfigObj is available under the very liberal BSD License.
It addresses *most* of the limitations of ConfigParser as discussed at
Anything Else ?
ConfigObj stores nested sections which map names to members
(effectively dictionaries) with values as lists *or* single items. In
association with the validate module it can transparently translate
values back into booleans, floats, integers, and of course strings.
This makes it ideal for *certain* types of human readable (and
writable) data persistence.
There is a discussion of this (with accompanying code) at :
- Prev by Date: Flightdeck-UI -- the Online Version
- Next by Date: ANN: Karrigell-2.1.9 released
- Previous by thread: Flightdeck-UI -- the Online Version
- Next by thread: ANN: Karrigell-2.1.9 released