Re: notification about desktop switch

"trier" <gumgum.mugmug@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:94484301-33b8-46b6-922b-8f34681a33da@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am relatively new to perl tk - love it, but cant solve the following
problem:

My perl/tk application (Mandriva 2010.0) uses a popup help feature.
When I hover over a widget, a toplevel widget is created and will
display the help text, and I delete it when the focus leaves the
popped up window -no problem so far.

I call the overrideredirect method on the help toplevel widget to drop
the window decoration - and here my problem comes: I am using KDE4,
and can switch between desktops. Due to the overrideredirect, the
popup window is "sticky" and appears on each desktop. How can I make
the popup window be deleted when a desktop switch occurs? I am
familiar with using events and binding procedures to events - would be
nice to have an event that is launched when a desktop switch occurs -
but I have not found any such event.

An alternative solution would be to find a way to un-decorate the
window without the drawback that the windowmanager does not handle
overrideredirect windows.

Any advice please?

My first suggestion is to use Tk::Balloon (as Christoph implies). If that is not an option - then (untested) try binding to the visibility event of either your widget or your mainwindow to delete the toplevel window. I would assume a visibility event would be triggered when you switch desktops? This combined with a boolean flag that indicates if the popup is shown or not might work for you. I could test something out - but not until Monday as I only have windows at home.

Jack

  • notification about desktop switch
    ... My perl/tk application uses a popup help feature. ... I call the overrideredirect method on the help toplevel widget to drop ... the window decoration - and here my problem comes: ... nice to have an event that is launched when a desktop switch occurs - ...
    (comp.lang.perl.tk)
  • Re: Iceweasel freezes and iceape vulnerabilities and instability
    ... popup is fixed in place within the browser window, ... the browser is doing its job; it is just possible to do some really ... Funny you mention this -- I don't think this is due to malicious code, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: [PHP] Conditional popup driven from server-side
    ... otherwise display normal browser page. ... if there aren't errors then popup a modal ... window and start processing while displaying ... server, and then get the server to close it when done. ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: Avira AntiVir (free version) - Is this now adware?
    ... Seemed okay but it seems plagued with ads trying to get the user to buy into their premium version. ... When I went to manually update, got an ad. Got back to the host this morning and saw another popup window with their ad. ... It could be wonderful cake but not if you occasionally get a turd smooshed into your face. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)