Re: debugging for multiple versions of IE

Ben Crowell wrote:
This is an open-source project that I'm doing for fun, so going out and
buying three Windows machines to run IE 6, 7, and 8 is not really on my
agenda :-)

You might want to try IEs4Linux which uses WINE; both are available free of
charge, and free software (at least WINE is). I've never gotten Microsoft
Script Debugger to work there, though, and IE 7+ support is shaky at best
(my IE 7 still just doesn't want to navigate).

But you really wouldn't need to by one machine per each IE version to be
tested; you can make a partition for each, you can install a Virtual Machine
or, for the lazy of us, you can use standalone IEs; they should suffice for
testing simple, not DOM-related scripts. Also, IETester 0.3.2 allows you to
test IE 5.5 to 8 in one application.

I have recently posted the corresponding URIs, but Google is your friend
[psf 6.1], too.

And maybe <http://PointedEars.de/es-matrix> also helps.

I do have hands-on access to one machine running IE 6 on which I get an
error message complaining about syntax, but the message is annoyingly
vague -- it tells me I've got an error on a certain line, but it doesn't
tell me which of my nine files the error is in <:-O

Yes, that's Micro$~1. Remember that old helicopter joke?

Can anyone suggest any sane way to deal with this?

HTH

PointedEars

  • Re: Suggestions for bayesian network software
    ... prefer free software, but I'm also willing to try any good solution, ... GeNIe works fine under wine, ... has a debian package. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)
    ... those through wine? ... requires a proprietary codec requires a non-free license, ... To many people they are equivalent to free software because ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Suggestions for bayesian network software
    ... A search on the standard repos was fruitless. ... prefer free software, but I'm also willing to try any good solution, ... GeNIe works fine under wine, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)