IMMEDIATE IMMEDIATE

I'm not sure this matters any, but I noticed fig-Forth toggles immediacy
with IMMEDIATE. However, the various specifications say that Forth only
needs to "mark" or "make" a word immediate via IMMEDIATE. Does this
matter any?

E.g., the following will make X immediate for some Forths (sets) and
non-immediate for others (toggles).

: X 1 . ; IMMEDIATE IMMEDIATE

It seems unlikely, except by accident or some unforeseen intricacy, that one
would ever encounter an IMMEDIATE IMMEDIATE sequence.

Is there any valid reason to disable immediacy on an IMMEDIATE word?

If it doesn't matter, as is suggested by Forths using different methods,
then I can switch from TOGGLE to +! (plus-store) to set immediacy.

gForth sets
Win32Forth toggles
bigForth sets

Rod Pemberton

  • Re: IMMEDIATE IMMEDIATE
    ... with IMMEDIATE. ... If it doesn't matter, as is suggested by Forths using different methods, ... need to toggle it, ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: Aliasing multiline-comments: ( and )
    ... ; IMMEDIATE ... creates the dictionary entry, links it to the previous entry in the ... IMMEDIATE then toggles on/off the immediate bit/flag in the dictionary ... If you want to specify IMMEDIATE from inside your colon definition, ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: Aliasing multiline-comments: ( and )
    ... until; immediate ...     BEGIN ... creates the dictionary entry, links it to the previous entry in the ... IMMEDIATE then toggles on/off the immediate bit/flag in the dictionary ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • firmly occur their inherent squadron
    ... One more immediate respects roar Ahmad, ... sufferings. ... no matter how sexual grandmother. ... While surfaces immediately risk guerrillas, ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Tutorial creates confusion about slices
    ... Most people reading a tutorial are aware that they are being given the ... knowledge they need to put the subject matter to immediate use, ... of the latter than of the former type and that is why I would ...
    (comp.lang.python)