Re: RfD: Signed and Unsigned Word Fetch and Store
- From: Albert van der Horst <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: 25 May 2010 18:07:47 GMT
In article <2010May25.121120@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Anton Ertl <anton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is not about C types. It's about "make the more frequent case
shorter". And C provides two examples:
1) One where it was done: when deciding that "=" belongs to
assignment, so comparison for equality has to use something else. And
that decision was a mistake.
Do you have a reference?
I tend to believe that it was just copied from FORTRAN or PL/I
without much thought.
It were the ALGOL people who wanted to express things precisely.
Albert van der Horst, UTRECHT,THE NETHERLANDS
Economic growth -- being exponential -- ultimately falters.
albert@spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst
- Prev by Date: Re: RfD: Signed and Unsigned Word Fetch and Store
- Next by Date: Re: OT: Stuff and nonsense
- Previous by thread: Re: RfD: Signed and Unsigned Word Fetch and Store
- Next by thread: Re: RfD: Signed and Unsigned Word Fetch and Store