Re: FORTH DIMENSIONS Back issues

"John Passaniti" <john.passaniti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:acbe00ed-cba6-4668-ae75-1c312a7c57d6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Jan 3, 2:02 am, "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_h...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Um... Why bother with either suggestion when there is
RapidShare?http://www.rapidshare.com/

Um, because RapidShare sucks?

0) Files may be deleted after 90 days of inactivity.

They still accept files without notifying you that they'll delete them after
90. I'm not sure whether they delete anyway... They didn't always limit
available time. If the limited time model doesn't work, they may convert
back to unlimited.

1) You have to suffer with a URL like this:
http://rapidshare.com/files/329583222/0102082110.jpg

You can always use:
http://tinyurl.com/

2) There is no way to browse files.

You've been given a direct link to the files you want. Why would you want
to browse through them?

You would need a separate site or
listing for that.

True.

3) When you do click on a link, you don't get the file-- you get a
screen where you have to first click to say if you're a "free user" or
a "premium user."

Three clicks? You're complaining about three clicks? Man that's almost the
holy grail... But, the holy grail was patented (US).

Have you ever dl'd a file from Simtel (modern html-ized), CNET Download,
MajorGeeks, etc.? 15 clicks minimum. Numerous retries. Pop-ups galore.
Ads everywhere. Even sites without the ads and pop-ups aren't spectacular.
Have you tried to locate and download files from SourceForge or even the
FSF? 8 clicks minimum. That's assuming you can even remotely find what
you're looking for at the FSF. If you don't know "ld" is in the "binutils"
package, just how do you find it?

So, tell me why RapidShare is the most awesome solution?

1) free, simple, quick
2) no need for login account or email account to upload or remove
3) not limited to those who can afford their own fileserver
4) no excessive bandwidth harrasment issues from your ISP
5) no need to leave your computer running
6) no need to bypass your firewall's security to transmit files

etc. One could almost steal one of Ronco's catch phrases and use here.

Your focus on delivery of the file misses the essential need:
Finding the content.

You've been given a direct link to the files you want. Why would you need
to locate them?

So if I knew that the article I wanted to read was in issue 4 or was
in January of 1985, I might know to download that file. But what if I
don't know? What if I only knew the article by author or title. Or
what if I didn't know author or title, but wanted to find all articles
about databases.

That's what Yahoo or Google or fileshare app's are for: indexing.

Rod Pemberton

.