Re: I booted into forthos and was like, what now?

On Tue, 16 Jul 2008, vandys@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Larry Webber <thecoots@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
anyone using it instead of linux?
does it have tcp/ip?
remind me!
I am not using it and honestly was not aware of its existence. I just
googled on "forthos" and found the home page for this site. http://
www.forthos.org/

Hi,

A friend wrote a IP plus TCP and UDP for it, along with some basic PCI
support and a driver for some breed of ethernet card (I don't remember
offhand which model it was). He even married it with the TTY support to
support telnet into the system.

There is a question/answer section but it appears activity on that ended
in 2005. I too am curious as to whether anyone is using this. I quickly
downloaded the ISO and tried to install this under Linux running VMWare
abd got it to "boot" there. I looked on the aforementioned home page for
documentation but failed to find much.

If you get interested enough, you can do a hard disk install and then
there's the source code.

Andy,

Since we got your attention ...

Hey, I'll byte! How does one install upon a hard drive? Is it possible to use QEMU to create a disk image, and install onto that? Either way,
with a couple of pointers, I'd be happy to unwrap, and then put the source
in a file on the Web somewhere ... If only to study the bootstrap stuff .... though a forth based IP stack might be useful, if it is licensed under
an open license ... of course.

It would be tragic to let such a nice native Forth die of loneliness ...

Rob Sciuk

  • Re: OT: Virtual PCs was Visual Studio 2005
    ... is hardware support, ... create a 10GB partition or larger to install Ubuntu on. ... do file updates as MS has booby-trapped the file system in the past. ... And, when you start mainlining source code, everything is available from the ...
    (comp.sys.hp.mpe)
  • Re: MacSpeech Dictate Amazon reviews - comments?
    ... license is to the hardware and not to the user. ... install software on a desktop and a laptop. ... Redmond cease to support XP in an effort to force me to spend money on ... You will find this folder inside your document folder. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • RE: I cant run the routing and remote access wizard
    ... A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Product Support Services via ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... Some other updates fail to install eg kb ... |> Tools to Maintenance, change Intranet component to Remove, and then ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: network slows down after SP2 install
    ... Logitech support could not correct it and suggested ... Locate the "Microsoft network server: ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... and SP2 failed to install on the other one. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Just wondering... EvilOgre.com
    ... Sharing of source code between Evil Ogre Team members ... >> our standards and we need to be able to meet the promise to our customers ... >> of being able to support software we sell should you be unavailable to ... non-commission sales). ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)