Instructions that allow spaces in the operand field

Am I right that SETA, SETB, SETC and AIF are the only instructions
that allow, when followed by space(s) and 'then a (', the operand
field to contain spaces?

If yes, can I assume that for them the operand field ends on the last
matching ')' (that is not part of a quoted string) or ').label' for
AIF?

Also, can I assume that any text following the last ', ' (comma space)
on multi-line operands is a comment?

Why do I want to know?

I've written a number of edit macros that convert PL/I, JCL, REXX &
SuperC (as yet very limited, specific for something I required), into
a html format that is (hopefully) identical to the ISPF editor display
with "HI ON PAREN" (actually, for JCL it's better, as ISPF has trouble
correctly hilighting in-stream data). I now like to add a EHIASM macro
to do the same for assembler.

BTW, the macro's are available if you want them, drop me a line, email
- ONLY TO THIS ADDRESS: x'9996828599A37C97998995964B969987' (EBCDIC,
paste in 'hex data') and put "[EHILITE]" anywhere in the title. ONLY
SEND PLAIN TEXT EMAILS!

Robert

  • Re: JCL Builder or script HELP
    ... The first card image of a statement has name, operation, operand, and comments, delimited by all space up to the comments. ... These have the format null, operand, comments, again delimited by all space. ... With careful use of UNSTRING features, you can string all of the operands together into one long string for further processing, or later construction of new statements. ... Once you've done the work to be able to read JCL and separate it into its component parts, you can use the code over and over for different purposes. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Unix systems and Serialization mechanism
    ... It was when I started as a JCL Jocky, 30 years ago. ... the z/OS MVS JCL Manual. ... you do not specify the LIKE operand or any space operand (i.e. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)