Re: APL is Alive & Well V/S APL Needs to learn

On May 22, 11:28 am, Mb <meb...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Morten Kromberg wrote:

I maintain that anyone who thinks that one of the most important
attributes of a tool is that it is free has a very poor sense of
priorities and is unlikely to be successful in any endeavour.

And I suppose you know about Linux, BSD and the likes, don't you ? :-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Sure, I just don't think that being free is amongst the most important
features of these systems. Things like reliability, hardware support,
and availability of applications are the important criteria when
selecting an operating system.

Investing in order to make a tool free can be a good strategy for
getting other people involved in the development, and I think this can
work when the users and developers are the same set of people, as is
the case for Linux, BSD and many other "tools for software engineers".
But I can't see how to make the model work for APL language
interpreters.

  • General Unix Learning
    ... nothing really in detail about the actual operating system or installation. ... I have considered FreeBSD & Linux, but really, for a desktop system do you ... Normally I'd take my own advice (if you want to use BSD, use BSD, if you want ...
    (freebsd-newbies)
  • Re: Commercial Distribution?
    ... FreeBSD is an Operating System, ... Just as linux distributions do. ... *BSD uses a fairly significant amount of GNU and GPL licensed ... I thought Alan Cox of Linux kernel fame ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: OK Dirtbag, heres your chance.........
    ... The operating system in a Mac is heavily influenced by/copied from BSD ... I like to think of it as BSD being the Neanderthals and Linux being ... the Cro-Magnons but that's only my opinion based on the $billions IBM ...
    (misc.invest.stocks)
  • Re: "Torn between two OS" - Solaris vs Linux
    ... > which run on top of the operating system, ... I would expect to find stuff like Mozilla and Perl on any Linux ... Couldn't the same argument be applied to *BSD? ... tools in BSD different to the ones typical of a Linux distro? ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: "Torn between two OS" - Solaris vs Linux
    ... > which run on top of the operating system, ... I would expect to find stuff like Mozilla and Perl on any Linux ... Couldn't the same argument be applied to *BSD? ... tools in BSD different to the ones typical of a Linux distro? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)