Re: Malformed link?

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> This is probably something very obvious, but I just can't see it.
>>
>> At http://www.douglaidlaw.net/boykett/timeline.html the last line should
>> contain a link, and the linking text should be an abbreviated version of
>> it. Instead, the full link is showing up as plain text and the link tags
>> are ignored.
>
> It contains the following markup:
>
> <a name="http://www.hyperhistory.com";>
> http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/History_n2/a.html</a>
>
> This does not define a link, only a potential destination anchor for a
> link. You need to use the 'href' attribute instead of a 'name' attribute.
> Besides, you probably wanted to have the URLs reversed:

> http://www.hyperhistory.com</a>
>
> It's however usually a poor idea to use a URL as link text. Link texts are
> meant to be readable as such, and it's the 'href' value that needs to be a
> URL. Besides, it's misleading to use a URL different from the one in the
> 'href' attribute. I would suggest something like
>
> <cite><a href="http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/History_n2/a.html";>
> HyperHistory</a></cite>

Thank you. All noted. Actually, I did think that the <a name=.. looked
unusual, but it was put there (I think) by Nvu. I edited the original
extensively, and thought that in the end, I had it right.

Doug.
--
Registered Linux User No. 277548. My true email address has hotkey for
myaccess.

  • Re: Tuning widths of spaces in CSS
    ... Jukka K. Korpela wrote on 14 nov 2011 in ... think Jukka gets it - the period I mean. ... I did get the poor "joke" and ignored it. ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets)
  • Re:
      in right-to-left languages
      ... You seem to have missed that sentence, despite quoting it. ... quoting often indicates lack of comprehensive reading. ... Jukka K. Korpela ...
      (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets)
    • Re: EI 6.0 doesnt like my idea for borders
      ... act as just as a divider - a decorative horizontal rule, ... Jukka K. Korpela ... real nice barbershop style pole on each side of the page without having ...
      (alt.html)
    • Re: UL question
      ... Jukka K. Korpela ... We have no way of knowing. ... and learn how to post to Usenet. ...
      (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets)
    • Re: what does "`" mean?
      ... "Jukka K. Korpela" writes: ... >> this some kind of crazy hangover from typewriters, does anyone know, ...
      (sci.lang)