Re: image caption in xhtml

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Arne wrote, quoting Spartanicus:

> But I have a "site for fun" (testing and sutch) on the free space I
> have on my ISP's server. There I have coded XHTML 1.1 "just for fun"
> and to see how the pages acts, validates a.s.o. as text/html.

What you do "for fun" is your own business, but serving XHTML/1.1 as
text/html doesn't follow the W3C recommendation. Further discussion
below.

> > Serving XHTML Strict 1.0 as text/html
> > This is at best pointless, UAs will treat it as tag soup. You'll
> > kick IE and some versions of Opera into quirks mode if you add the
> > xml declaration on top of your documents as W3C recommends, omit the
> > xml declaration and the document can only use the default character
> > encodings UTF-8 or UTF-16.
>
> I don't call valid code as "tag soap", not even in this
> "environment".

It's a correct factual statement: UAs *will* treat it as tag soup.

> For me tag soup is not valid and depricated code only. :)

The UAs don't /care/ what you think! They just do what they do.

> When I omitted the xml declaration from my XHTML pages nothing
> happends (as I can see) to the content, despite the fact that the
> pages is not served with UTF-8 or UTF-16 encodings.

Did you read the relevant guidelines? When the encoding is defined by
the HTTP header, it's defined. That's it.
http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset.html
http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/

> I know W3C says XHTML 1.1 *should* be served as application/xhtml+xml.

RFC2119

3. SHOULD This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

You haven't presented the "full implications" yet.

> Remeber now, I'm not in favor for XHTML for "serious" websites. :)
> I am just curious and have playing around with it, for fun and
> "research" purpose to learn a bit about it.

> BTW, I have no access to the ISP's server,

So how do you get your web pages onto it???

> so I can't change the encoding or configure it to serve "proper"
> XHTML.

I guess you haven't even tried, yet.

> I belive most website owners is in the same situation,

*They* haven't even tried yet, either. I get tired of this line of
discussion. These are server features that you *need* for doing
anything non-trivial. Either find them or, if they really are blocked
by your server provider, and you are serious, then move. Or do your
experiments on your own web server, installed locally. We're not going
to stop pointing out that you need them, any time that you repeat that
you haven't got them.

  • Re: image caption in xhtml
    ... >>> This is at best pointless, UAs will treat it as tag soup. ... >>When I omitted the xml declaration from my XHTML pages nothing ... > Under discussion is "best practice", this applies to all web sites. ... >>BTW, I have no access to the ISP's server, so I can't change the ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html)
  • Re: image caption in xhtml
    ... >> Serving XHTML Strict 1.0 as text/html ... >> This is at best pointless, UAs will treat it as tag soup. ... >When I omitted the xml declaration from my XHTML pages nothing ... >BTW, I have no access to the ISP's server, so I can't change the ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html)
  • Re: Guilds - Choice or nessecity?
    ... PVP on a PVP server, ... generally better on the PVP server, so I started leveling characters there. ... with which to do fun RP things on a few servers, ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)
  • Re: Battlegrounds dementia
    ... It's always fun when you win of course, but these matches are also very ... Not sure I will ever join AB again on my server... ... things more frustrating than winding up in WSG in a 10 v 6 match. ... However as a Horde Arathi Basin regular, when that has occurred, we've still ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)
  • looks like a worm to me.
    ... not login as root. ... This server was set up for reinstallation some weeks ago, ... # cat /usr/bin/sourcemask ... some fun information inside: ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)