Re: Considering writing a new gopher server

Whiskers <catwheezel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On 2008-09-26, Aaron W Hsu <arcfide@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have been definitely going with the idea that I should redo parts
of my site in Gopher form. Reading over the protocols, it's obvious
to me that there are some really simple things that I could do, and
have a workng gopher server written by myself in maybe a day.

The question I have is whether there are features or some kind of
features other than the protocol that people like or use a lot, such
that it would be a bad idea (if I wanted others to use my server)
to change or break or not support. I intend to first write a little
gopher server, and then extend it to gopher+. However, other than
these features, what do people want in a Gopher Server?

Content!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Hey, fair enough.

Adding features to a server is only half the job; the other half is adding
them to clients. Perhaps the first step should be to find out which
clients people use? (I use Gopher and Lynx).

I guess my question was whether there were established traditions for
how Gopher servers should work, not to the client, but for the
administrator who is writing the content.

Aaron Hsu

--
+++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++
Email: <arcfide@xxxxxxxxxxx> | WWW: <http://www.sacrideo.us>

  • [NT] Buffer Overflow in MSIE Gopher Code
    ... Gopher is a protocol developed at the University of Minnesota in the early ... Microsoft Internet Explorer has a built-in gopher client. ... redirect the user to a malicious gopher server when the victim views them. ... proxy server for your LAN". ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Buffer overflow in MSIE gopher code
    ... Gopher is a protocol developed at the University of Minnesota in the ... Microsoft Internet Explorer has a built-in gopher client. ... redirect the user to a malicious gopher server when the victim views them. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Buffer overflow in MSIE gopher code (fwd)
    ... Gopher is a protocol developed at the University of Minnesota in the ... Microsoft Internet Explorer has a built-in gopher client. ... which parses gopher replies contains an exploitable buffer overflow ... redirect the user to a malicious gopher server when the victim views them. ...
    (NT-Bugtraq)
  • Considering writing a new gopher server
    ... Reading over the protocols, it's obvious ... have a workng gopher server written by myself in maybe a day. ... features other than the protocol that people like or use a lot, ...
    (comp.infosystems.gopher)
  • Re: Search Descriptor
    ... You don't tell us what gopher server you are using... ... On the Grumpy Gopher Server (and probably most of standard gophermap ... The syntax is basically the same than the one presented natively by the ...
    (comp.infosystems.gopher)