Re: Plota a sphere in maxima using plot3d

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 13:01:14 -0600, geep wrote:

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:46:42 +0100, Nanotech wrote:

Hi,
i would like plot a sphere in maxima using gnuplot plot3d function in
cartesian coordinate system.
The function that i use is: x^2+y^2+z^2-10=0 I set the grid with this
command: [x,-5,5] [y,-5,5] [z,-5,5]

Gnuplot return a blank window. Why ?
What i mistake ?

Hi,
Maybe we are slightly offtopic asking about maxima.... Anyway - on my
maxima or wxmaxima I give these commands and maxima sends commands to
gnuplot to draw a nice sphere:

load(draw);
draw3d(enhanced3d = true,
terminal=png,
implicit(0=(x^2+y^2+z^2-10),
x,-5,5,y,-5,5,z,-5,5),
palette = gray,
surface_hide = true);

maxima produces 2 files which gnuplot uses: data.gnuplot
maxout.gnuplot

and then gnuplot produces:
maxima_out.png

I attach the 2 gnuplot files below. Some lines might be wrapped as they
are very long. I'm running on linux.

Hope yours works similarly.
Cheers,
Peter
maxima will give a hemisphere from this:
plot3d(( 10 - x^2 - y^2) ^ 0.5, [x,-50,50], [y,-50,50]);

and a complete sphere:
plot3d( [sin(a) * cos(b), sin(a) * sin(b), cos(a)], [a, 0, 2 * %pi], [b,
0, %pi] );

Haven't bothered with the gnuplot output. If you get the earlier example
to work, these should too.

Cheers,
Peter

  • Re: I REPEAT: maxima can not be built, because gnuplot fails on download
    ... do the basic install. ... Gnuplot, a dependency of maxima will fail. ... anymore;) gnuplot fails to install because the PDFlib ports support file ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • I REPEAT: maxima can not be built, because gnuplot fails on download
    ... do the basic install. ... Gnuplot, a dependency of maxima will fail. ... also, using the ports tree, (see, I'm not talking about a package anymore;) ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Plota a sphere in maxima using plot3d
    ... Gnuplot return a blank window. ... Anyway - on my maxima or wxmaxima I give these commands and maxima sends ... commands to gnuplot to draw a nice sphere: ... I attach the 2 gnuplot files below. ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot)
  • Re: When I put up any version of FBSD I usually try to install Maxima ...
    ... The default build of gnuplot is quite heavy, ... In fact Gnuplot can emit TeX ... The only necessary features are to emit X11 plots and ps plots. ... Once again, while doing plots is a useful feature of maxima, requiring gnuplot, it is not ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: World.dat
    ... Natural Earth is the current repository for mapping data such as used ... Where may I find a gnuplot application that will use the data from ... Maybe Grass is more suited to cartography than gnuplot. ... Maxima Cartography ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot)