GIMP and Silverfast on Windows

Hello there, dear readers!

Currently I am trying to revive an old but still working scanner
(Microtek Scanmaker III). In a way you could say it came with Silverfast
which I updated until Version 6.0. Unfortunately the original I ordered
was a Photoshop plugin so I am kind of stuck with that now. I have no
Photoshop license for this computer, so using that isn't an option.
Besides, I am trying to use OSS where ever I can.

Currently this Computer is only running Windows XP SP2. There is an
installation of FreeBSD planned (and SANE with it) but sofar I haven't
gotten round to that. So for now, we are talking GIMP für Win32 here.

There is no scanner driver other than this plugin at the moment. I have
a very old version which also came with a TWAIN module but this was
written for 95/98 and doesn't even recognize my SCSI-card (Adaptec
2940 U2W).

I went and downloaded PSPI[1] for the job and installed it. But somehow
I can't get the GIMP to play nice with Silverfast. There are errors of
certain files missing, so now I am guessing that this version of
Silverfast is not really stand-alone but instead needs certain files
from Photoshop to run.

Is it at all possible to get these two programs to work together?

Regards
Chris

[1] http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/pspi.html

  • Re: Epson 4990: SilverFast Ai vs. Epson
    ... When using Photoshop, I see that I can use ... Silverfast or the Epson scanner driver. ... Future scanning jobs will always be photos. ...
    (comp.periphs.scanners)
  • Re: Scanner am Mac irgendwas zu beachten?
    ... bieten scheinen, speziell, wenn sie mit Silverfast geliefert werden. ... - Programm braucht wesentlich ... zu lange beim Start als Plugin in Photoshop - da kann man echt jedes ...
    (de.comp.sys.mac.misc)
  • Re: Silverfast v Photoshop
    ... > with a Lacie scanner, he said that he used silverfast. ... > case silverfast might be complementary to photoshop rather than instead of ... informed it is scanning software. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Silverfast v Photoshop - VueScan?
    ... he said that he used silverfast. ... >> photoshop. ... >informed it is scanning software. ... VueScan. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)