Re: The Gill Sans fonts - difference?

Tommy Hode wrote:

Can anyone tell me the difference between these Gill Sans font-families?

Gill Sans
Gill Sans MT

Thanks :)

Eric Gill designed Gill Sans c. 1931. These use that design as a basis.

The Gill Sans MT family is/was produced by Monotype.

There are numerous other implementations;
Gill Sans (Adobe)
Gill Sans (Elsewhere)
Gill Sans (Monotype - without the MT designation
     (distributed with Ami Pro/Lotus Word Pro)

There are more.

Then there are clones/equivalents with completely different names:

Humanist 521 (Bitstream)
Hammersmith (Bitstream)
Gilbert (Corel - Ultra bold only)
     -there are other, completely different Gilberts, too
and also Gillies, Sans Serif 2, Glib, Graphic Gothic, and who knows how many more.

What are the differences? In some cases none (because it's a cloned copy or a renaming), in some cases the differences are major - variations in the glyphs, different support character sets, different code pages, etc. etc.

You'd have to study any pair side by side, both as text and internally, to really delineate the differences.

 - Character

  • Re: The Gill Sans fonts - difference?
    ... Gill Sans ... Gilbert (Corel - Ultra bold only) ... In some cases none, in some cases the differences are major - variations in the glyphs, different support character sets, different code pages, etc. etc. ...
    (comp.fonts)
  • Re: GillSans
    ... I'm looking for GillSans and GillSans Light. ... If you have any of these CD's, you'll have the Gill Sans MT, with Bold, Italic, Bold Italic, Condensed, Condensed Bold, Ultra Bold, and Ultra Bold Condensed faces. ... Other versions have been included with the old Ami Pro, and there's a Gill Sans Light from "Elsewhere", possibly distributed with some hp Printer drivers. ... I'd never noticed that the MS Web page that shows which fonts were included with what products doesn't include Mac applications. ...
    (comp.fonts)
  • Re: GillSans
    ... I'm looking for GillSans and GillSans Light. ... as to where I can get these two font types for a windows operating system? ... A family of Gill Sans was included with each of the ... Bold, Ultra Bold, and Ultra Bold Condensed faces. ...
    (comp.fonts)
  • Re: Software wegen Schriften kaufen
    ... von Windows oder Linux aus an sie „herankommen“ können. ... Jetzt gerade such ich die Gill Sans. ... die ich kenne ist eine alte Corel Version zu ... Du Type 1 Schriften ...
    (de.comp.text.misc)