Re: 80-column marker minor mode?

On 2009-08-12 10:15 (+0200), Sebastian Waschik wrote:
Paul Miller <neokosmos@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
I'm currently using GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 with the GTK interface (GTK+
Version 2.16.0). What I'm looking for is a minor mode that will
display a vertical line that marks the 80th (or whichever) column so
I have a simple visual cue when my lines are getting a bit long.

is it enough to mark all long lines? Then hi-lock-mode might help
you. Try the following:
(highlight-regexp "^.\\{81,\\}$")

That, too, can be done with the new whitespace-mode:

(let ((whitespace-line-column 80) ;80 is the default
(whitespace-style '(lines-tail))) ;or '(lines) for the whole line
(whitespace-mode 1))

  • Re: Cannot Delete Extra Page At End of Document!
    ... And if it's still not working, make sure to turn off the options to display ... and print hidden text (Office button | Word Options, ... press Ctrl+Shift+8 to display nonprinting marks; ... highlight the second page without highlighting the text on the first ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Add on - CAD Marker Clarification
    ... 1.If the display application's CAD Operating Point is 0, only marks ... with a Rendering Intent "Presentation Required" are displayed. ...
    (comp.protocols.dicom)
  • Re: how do you turn off paragraph sign?
    ... the ShowAll command only toggles the options not explicitly selected ... I keep all of the nonprinting marks displayed at all times when ... Options and turn on "Display Paragraph Marks" and probably "Display ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: how do you turn off paragraph sign?
    ... it) always showing is counterproductive if you're trying to make ... decent-looking pages. ... Options and turn on "Display Paragraph Marks" and probably "Display ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Toilets [in pubs]! Alrewas
    ... > My reason for bringing this up now, is that I found a gents last week ... > which quite possibly acheives top marks. ... fine display of the human form. ...
    (uk.rec.waterways)