left-gutter-width, set-default-gutter-position?

Hi,

i normally use the gutter in the position "top".

I now want to change this and for this added the following line to init.el:

(set-default-gutter-position 'left)

The gutter is now on the left side, but i can only see two letters
in the tab. So i wanted to change the width and additionally added:

(set-specifier left-gutter-width 200)

Now the text is indented much more, but i can still only see two letters
in the single tabs. There is a large empty area right between the gutter
and the buffer area.
Also, there is only one tab, i expected that there'd be several tabs to
choose from.

How can i place the gutter to the left side with a reasonable width and
all tabs over each other?

I use xemacs-21.5.18 on linux. I once got the hint to add the lines below
to init.el to hide xemacs' internal buffers:

;; Group buffers in buffer tab by whether they start with an asterisk
(defun group-buffers-by-asterisk (buf1 buf2)
(let ((buf1-1st-letter (substring (buffer-name buf1) 0 1))
(buf2-1st-letter (substring (buffer-name buf2) 0 1)))
(or (and (equal "*" buf1-1st-letter)
(equal "*" buf2-1st-letter))
(and (not (equal "*" buf1-1st-letter))
(not (equal "*" buf2-1st-letter))))))

(setq buffers-tab-filter-functions
(quote (group-buffers-by-asterisk)))

Best regards,
Torsten.

  • Re: Getting Tab Text
    ... I am starting to understand the SetBufferand ReleaseBuffer() methods. ... It is not allocating any memory, just copying the characters in the buffer. ... It would have been nice to show the Tab Text on the Top or the Pop-up Menu, ... I think there is a 1 or 0 confusion. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: left-gutter-width, set-default-gutter-position?
    ... > in the tab. ... > Now the text is indented much more, but i can still only see two letters ... There is a large empty area right between the gutter ... Can anybody confirm that the appearance looks as strange as i describe it? ...
    (comp.emacs.xemacs)
  • Re: emacs undo & emacs cult problem
    ... emacs's buffer interface is inferior because it is less intuitive. ... experienced or skilled in using emacs. ... windows) is good feature of course. ... and each tab can be split into panes. ...
    (comp.emacs)
  • Re: parse two field file
    ... The first field can be "empty" and concist of only a single tab ... because it tries to modify the string you pass ... static void doline(char *buf, size_t bufsize); ... buffer, print the buffer and release its memory. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Repeated key syndrome
    ... I think the hey was the tab, I'm unsure if I ... My new keyboard is a mechanical unit, gamer type: it can buffer key presses inside, and allows several simultaneous keypresses. ...
    (SuSE)