The Social Network as a Career Safety Net [Telecom]
- From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:54:02 -0400 (EDT)
The Social Network as a Career Safety Net
By SARAH JANE TRIBBLE
The New York Times
August 14, 2008
IF you have avoided social-networking sites like LinkedIn and
Facebook with the excuse that they are the domain of desperate job
hunters or attention-seeking teenagers, it's time to reconsider.
In a world of economic instability and corporate upheaval, savvy
professionals like the technology consultant Josh So epitomize the
benefits of brushing up your online image and keeping it polished.
When Mr. So, a 32-year-old from Dublin, Calif., learned he had 45
days to find a new job before his company eliminated his division, he
turned to friends online.
Within hours of updating his job status on the social-networking site
LinkedIn, Mr. So won four job interviews through his contacts there.
Within a week, two of the interviews resulted in offers. And within
less than a month, his employer counteroffered with a position in
another division and a $25,000 bump in his annual salary.
The old business adage that it's not what you know but who you know
takes a twist in the Internet era: it's what you know about
social-networking sites that can get you ahead.
- Prev by Date: Re: Need some guidance on telecom easements [Telecom]
- Next by Date: Re: Pager/Voicemail alternatives? [Telecom]
- Previous by thread: Need some guidance on telecom easements [Telecom]
- Next by thread: [telecom] Manual and Magneto Phone Systems [Telecom]