Re: Questions on 6500 series

pfisterfarm wrote:
We're looking at replacing a 4507R at the core of our network with a
6500 series. Currently, the 4507R has a supervisor engine IV, 3 48-
port copper blades, and 2 6-port fiber blades. We're hoping to include
in the 6500 series replacement the firewall module (to replace a PIX
525), vpn (to replace a 3005 concentrator), and IDS/IPS.

I'm a little confused as to what I need from looking at the Cisco
product pages. Is there a guide somewhere as to what to get? The
firewall that we would be replacing is actually a pair of PIX 525s in
an active/standby pair. We'd like to have some redundancy in the 6500
as well. We'd also like some sort of failover for the IDS/IPS if
possible.

A couple of questions:
- if I have two FWSMs installed, they would load balance, and if one
failed, the other would take over all traffic, correct?
- I see a "VPN services port adapter" and a "VPN shared port
adapter"... I'm not sure how they differ
- The supervisor engine 720 and the supervisor engine 32... we'd need
one or the other, correct?
- Would we need the Policy Feature Card and the Distributed Forwarding
Card?

Steve,

You know that's one hour+ worth of sales meeting to answer those questions, right? :-)

Very briefly - I'd stay away from service modules. ASA5500 series will get you better performance for less money for both firewall and VPN. You can get IDS/IPS module for it too, I believe (I don't deal with IDS much , if at all).

If you decide to go with FWSM - yes, it can provide Active/Passive fail-over in the same 6500 chassis (or different chassis). Active/Active is gimmick when you have multiple context and flipping Active/Passive roles between the boxes.

VPN - I think you are looking at SPA, that's not VPN service module.

Supervisor - only 720. Otherwise you may stick with 4705R (6Gbps per slot vs. 32Gbps shared bus on Sup32).

DFC is needed for distributed forwarding - local switching on line card.

At this particular time I'd be very careful about buying 6500 in general. If you are somewhat local to western seaboard of USA, we can take it off-line.

Andrey.
.