Re: 7200 vs 7600 VLANs

Doug/Steinar,
thank you for your response. I am trying to get up to speed on this and
do not have access to a Cisco router to play with. I am not the
designer of this network but it is being defined by a customer. I am
trying to find out if it is feasible, and any help would be
appreciated.

As i understand it, VLANs are used to limit broadcast domains. So, if
there are two VLANS being carried on a single GigE port, then the
broadcasts on one VLAN will not be seen on the other VLAN.

>>From a switch point of view, if the same VLAN shows up on two different
physical interfaces, then it should bridge the data streams from the
two physical ports. So, a broadcast received on VLAN 1 on port A will
be switched to VLAN 1 on port B.

Now we get to the router application: if I have two physical ports, can
I use the same VLAN on both ports? IF yes, will it treat them as a
single subnet or as two distinct subnets. I could see that the router
could logicaly extend the number of VLANs supported by using the
physical port ID as a way to increase the number of VLANs supported
(i.e. 4096 per physical port).

OR..is it a simple fact that, regardless of switch or router, I can
only have 4096 distinct outter VLAN tags per switch/router chassis?

Thanks :)

  • Re: Help configuring Point-To-Point T1
    ... that you could have a VLAN that spans across both offices? ... 1700 series router w/ Internet T1 ... 3560 Switch ... because you wouldn't have to worry about tons of static routes. ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: probably an easy routing question, so please help
    ... non-contiguous subnets into one VLAN and avoid having to run out to the ... router for intra-VLAN traffic, ... VLAN capable Layer 2 switches ignore VLAN tags on unicast traffic. ... A Layer 3 switch can route intraVLAN/interVLAN unicast traffic AS ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • RE: Different terms for the same or more secure?
    ... On a switch, each port is its own collision domain, unlike ... a broadcast does not traverse a router unless explicitly told ... is more accurate to say a VLAN separates broadcast domains. ... "creates" a broadcast domain, which inherently separates itself from the ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: native vlan for mgmt
    ... I have a router with the fa0/0 configured with sub interfaces my mgmt vlan ... int loop0 10.1.254.1 255.255.255.255 ... I cannot telnet to the switch or ping the switch on 10.1.10.15 or the router 10.1.10.1 from my workstation, router, or switch. ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)