Re: Cherry Hill, NJ - Comcast

Bill M. wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:25:47 -0400, Dennis <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 06:54:56 -0400, "riggor9999"
<riggor9999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Why are you assuming resetting the router won't work?
And by resetting you mean resetting to factory defaults. You do not mean
power down and back up.

Correct. One of the key things achieved by a return to factory
defaults is that the modem will then be in a known state, as opposed
to the unknown state it's in now. We know from experience that a
router set to factory defaults will work properly with Comcast,
assuming no other faults exist.

One thing I would have checked, given the symptoms described, and
maybe it's been checked and I missed it, is to make sure the router is
configured to use DHCP on its WAN port. Resetting to factory defaults
will return this setting to DHCP. If it's currently set to PPOE, for
example, the problem will be as described by the OP; i.e., the WAN IP
will remain 0.0.0.0.

Problem solved.
The cable modem has a battery in it; first time I ever saw that.

Once we took out the battery, we wee able to fully power down and reset the damn thing.

  • Re: Mobo repair - any point?
    ... shorting the power button pins to rule out power button problem but ... Can I do anything with it or is it new mobo time? ... a new battery will do no harm. ... Without 'resetting the CMOS' you're likely ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Mobo repair - any point?
    ... shorting the power button pins to rule out power button problem but ... a new battery will do no harm. ... Still the same after resetting the CMOS... ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Cherry Hill, NJ - Comcast
    ... And by resetting you mean resetting to factory defaults. ... power down and back up. ... I may have even mentioned "paperclip" ...
    (comp.dcom.modems.cable)
  • Re: HELP: Midway Seattle Boardset Bios Problems (NFL Blitz)
    ... able to restore the factory defaults and adjust volume while the power ... I guess if they designed the circuit to run exclusivly on the battery ... and never on logic power a bad battery would cause this problem. ...
    (rec.games.video.arcade.collecting)
  • Re: Terminator 2 resets to factory defaults every power off
    ... then battery holder for battery corrosion. ... My new T2 is resetting the factory defaults every power cycle. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)