Re: Use IDs or strings?
- From: Marco Mariani <marco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 14:57:37 +0100
Walter Mitty wrote:
If so, it is better to plan and design such ID's rather than just
exposing a sequence number value. A VIN (Vehicle Identification
Number) is a good example. It isn't perfect, but it goes a long way
beyond just a number.
Elsewhere, it's been said that a key should NOT carry any information beyond identifying something. You seem to be saying the opposite. Am I reading you right?
Mr. Elsewhere is wrong.
The following links just scratch the issue. I suppose it's been going on for more than 20 years.
- Prev by Date: Re: Use IDs or strings?
- Next by Date: Re: Use IDs or strings?
- Previous by thread: Re: Use IDs or strings?
- Next by thread: Re: Use IDs or strings?