Re: Select data prior to a character in a row?

On Jan 5, 5:04 pm, Michael Austin <maus...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ed Prochak wrote:
On Jan 3, 4:20 pm, DP <dxpe...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jan 3, 1:04 pm, Walt <walt_ask...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

DP wrote:
Our CMDB database (vendor supplied) stores information in a
singlevarchar2 field.
The DATA:
Name
MPORTWEB03(MPORTWEB03) : msdb
MPORTWEB03(MPORTWEB03) : pubs
MPORTWEB03(MPORTWEB03) : tempdb
pr04(droid) : DAFRANZ
pr04(droid) : DAMOLSO
pr04(droid) : DAQUINT
pr04(droid) : DBSNMP
What I can't figure out is how to select data up to or before the
first open paran.
I have tried RTIRM with no luck.
Immediate solution:  use the built in SUBSTR and INSTR functions to
extract the appropriate substrings. i.e. something like
    select substr(name,0,instr(name,'(')-1) from table;
Better solution: create view(s) and or procs using the functions above
to allow you to query the table like a human being
Best solution: ditch this abortion of a data design and replace it with
something designed by someone with a clue.
Good luck!
//Walt- Hide quoted text -
Thanks!!!

I agree with you 100%. I would love to ditch this CMDB vendor, but
that is not my call..  I just have to make it work!  :-)

Dennis

Why do you have to "make it work"??   That should be the vendor's job!
(exactly what product/vendor is this anyway?
 They deserve to be tarred and feathered!)

  Ed

:) most of them do deserver to be tarred and feathered.

It looks like they hire kids with no experience what-so-ever and then
wonder why in the world it doesn't work/scale/.... Just because you "can
do it that way" doesn't mean that you should....- Hide quoted text -

These are the reporting tables,It gets worse.. The CMDB tables use
longs/clobs to store data.
The report we are writing is outside of the normal web application, so
the vendor would not help solve this issue.

I don't think are many vendor application that even come close to
using a decent data model.
Our DBA's do spend some time on trying to get applications to
perform..

I appreciate everyone's comments and help!
Dennis

.