Re: Each GROUP BY expression must contain at least one column that is not an outer reference

Vic (vikrantp@xxxxxxxxx) writes:
([02-RecordAction]= 'New') AND ('['+@FieldName+'] IS NOT NULL') )
some commented code but basically I am trying to get the total number
of rows (ValidCount) and (NullCount) seperately and use that in the
3rd select statement but it gives me an error saying 'An expression of
non-boolean type specified in a context where a condition is expected,
near ')'. Which is @FieldName in the select statement. Am I doing
anything wrong here?

You have

AND (string-expression)

where the string expression is

'[' + @FieldName + '] IS NOT NULL'

and that does not make much sense at all.

Maybe you like to believe that SQL Server will guess that it should
substitute the value in @FieldName with a column name, but that did
not happen last week, and it is not going to happen this week either.

Generally: if you want to use dynaimc table and column names, you will
need to use dynamic SQL, and it is going to be very painful.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at

  • Re: Query training -- Complex queries
    ... > Update PositionsEOM ... Here you don't have a derived table, but a correlated subquery. ... UPDATE in Books Online. ... is not written for SQL Server. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: Linked Server: How to check if server exists?
    ... The root problem is described in the Books Online topic Batches. ... Rick Byham, SQL Server Books Online ... linked server don't run on those development machines not having that linked ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • Re: STORED PROCEDURE - passing table name as a parameter
    ... T-SQL, is that you get problems if the view definition does not fit into ... will need to query other system tables, for instance syscolumns. ... Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at ...
    (comp.databases.ms-sqlserver)
  • Re: Problem when changing Views
    ... There aree several reasons. ... I use neither of the tools, but I guess that Design View resubmits the ... Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at ...
    (comp.databases.ms-sqlserver)
  • Re: SQL 2005: Help files not valid?
    ... Please try the following instructions to remove and reinstall Books Online. ... If this doesn't solve the problem, we'll need to get the Visual Studio folks ... In Add or Remove Programs, select Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then ... Complete the remaining steps in the Installation Wizard. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)