Re: Access 2010 table design questions

Albert D. Kallal wrote:

"Salad" <oil@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Zeidnf6iF6THy47WnZ2dnUVZ_hudnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have some questions on A2010 table design and wonder if you csn shed any
light on them.

I created a blank web database and then a table. One can pull up a
property sheet for the table and it has some new features to it. For
example
Read Only When Disconnect

I've not tried the above that it suggests that in the offline or so called
disconnected mode that access has, they want the tables to go read only when
this occurs.

Remember for access 2010, we have what's called offline mode. (by the way we
also had this feature an access 2007, but in access 2010, it been
significantly enhanced).

Imagine you're using your wireless laptop on a train, and your running your
access application, but the tables are linked to SharePoint. Now, the train
enters a big tunnel where your wireless connection is disconnected. Access
now allows you to keep editing and working on your data as if nothing's
happened, the instant you reconnect back to the Internet, then your data
starts to sync again. It's almost very much like e-mail when you hit send
and receive.

The same feature could be used for couple of notebooks in the office, and
when the salesforce goes out to work during the day, when they get back to
the office that they can plug in and the data synchronizes. So, we have
"off line" mode. It really a replication type of system.

However for some types of applications, if they don't have a connection to
the data, you'll not want them to edit it local. So, when you lose your
Internet connection, it wants the application to jump into read only mode.
Perhaps maybe because it's a reservation system or some type of application
which you don't want offline mode to allow users to update data because what
they do is important and it may affect other users on the system (such as
reserving a room that someone else's already booked).

As mentioned, we had this offline mode in access 2007, but the switch
automatically mode like a access 2010 can is a new feature.

Subdatasheet Expanded
Subdatasheet Height
Subdatasbeet Name
Link Child Fields
Link Master Fields
FilterOn Load
OrderBy On Load

Above is quite a long list, but those are all features that exists in access
2007, and a good number them from access 2003....

the FilterOn Load I think is new for 2010, or 2007??? it simply means that
when you load the form, is that value set to yes, then the current filter
which for years and years is always been saved in the filterby setting...it
now will filter...

Q1) Beyond the OrderBy and FilterOn, does anyone know how the other
properties work? What does "Read Only When Disconnect" mean? OR the
Subdatasheet/Link properties?

The above been there since 2003, perhaps earlier?

Link here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/access/archive/2007/09/18/form-views-and-subdatasheets.aspx

Q2) There's a new field type called Attachment.

Again, not new for 2010, it also in 2007...

Is this able to be used in a web database?

Yes, they work in both client and web applications.

And does anyone know how one iserts a value?

Drop one on to a form. when you click on it, you get options to add files to
the attachment.

Is the value something like c:\documents\word1.doc? Or saving a few
pictures?

The pictures, or documents can be linked to, or saved internal into the table.

Q3) There was mention of multi-valued fields. I was thinking it might be
something like an Arev storage.

Yes, it somewhat similar. As you know, I am a long time Pick/d3, U2, Arev
developer.

From help, it said "Suppose you need to assign a task to one of your

employees but decide that you need to assign it to more than one person. In
Access 2010 you can create a multivalued field where the employees' names
can be selected from or entered in a box.

Guide to Multivalve fields - access 2007
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA012337221033.aspx?pid=CH100645681033

Is this in reference to a combobox? Does anyone know how to interpret the
above so that it can be used. Supposedly the multivalues are stored in a
hidden table but I did not read or see any examples of how this feature
can be employed.

See above..

Q4) A new field type is Calculated. If I had a field in a table called
Cost ($5.00) and Qty (2), I could have a column called Total that would
contain $10. I figure one could always use a query with a calculated
column. If I created a query now, I could enter "Select Cost, Qty, Total
from Table1" and have a total column without manipulation of the query.
Is their a strong benefit to that field type?

It not always practical to
ALWAYS use the one query in place of the table. And, this approach means you
be forced to use a query on a query for every other data retrieval (such as
queries with joins etc). So, now, we talking two data queries having to be
run and processed for every single query we build.

When you open up that table using dao, you not always using sql. And, for
merging to word, word will thus not be forced, or restricted to pulling
data from that ONE query (and, word will also NOT need an code base to
evaluate that expression).

Storing an expression solves some problems and simplify issues of
pulling the data out.

Simply put, that expression system allows you to have ONE PLACE for the
"meaning" of FullName. Now, any report, any query, any web browser, any
smart phone, any web service, any .net code, any VBA code will ALL BENEFIT
from having a column in the table called FullName.

Later, if we need to change the meaning of this column to include the
persons middle name, then all code, all web services, all reports, all
existing queries will ALL benefit from this change. The reason being is that
the meaning of FullName is in ONE place for virtually all code and all
software processes that will read the data from that table.

And, as mentioned, that process might not even be an sql query...

It would be nice if we all built ONE QUERY with the FullName expression and
that EVERY OTHER query, VBA code, report, form, word launching to do a
merge, web browsers, web series etc ALL agreed that no other data access
will occur to that table EXCEPT via that ONE query. What will you do with
the Smartphone that don't even support using queries needs to grab that
data?

Seems to me, this type of architecture is not only a good idea, but it very
much the sign of the times when you consider the mix web browsers,
Smartphone's and web services and software running on one's desktop...

It like any new feature, if used wrong, it is a bad idea, if used correctly,
it is a great way to centralize design decisions..

I think the issue is one of simplicity on the data pulling side and that is
the greater goal/good here. Lots of products over the years had this feature.

In fact, even sql server has the ability to have calculated fields (and, if you
index them, then the value is stored).

Awesome. I'd like to see some examples but if A2007 or A2003 has some of these features I can bet more info from their help systems.

I'm not sure why the Subdatasheet and Link properties are in the table. If I set relationships, I seem to get the same result when I open the table. I'll read up on them.

  • Re: OpenSchema
    ... alway find the holes in MS's designs of both Help and feature set. ... FROM myUnion;" Query so I could see that name and do what I wanted. ... this also returns all of the system queries. ... When using Jet data sources, ...
    (microsoft.public.access.queries)
  • Re: Access 2010 table design questions
    ... also had this feature an access 2007, but in access 2010, it been ... If I created a query now, I could enter "Select Cost, Qty, Total ... So, now, we talking two data queries having to be ... from having a column in the table called FullName. ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: Basing one combo box on a query result and auto fill a second
    ... Row Source Type Table/ Query ... Since there is only one feature for each ... second combobox is working and displaying the balloon #s correctly, ...
    (microsoft.public.access.forms)
  • Re: Basing one combo box on a query result and auto fill a second
    ... for balloon # and one for Feature. ... balloon, once a balloon # is selected in combo2, no need for combo3. ... A combobox is ... I have to type my choice in this parameter query. ...