Re: Re: Need info, books, articles,code, etc: Access VBA to XML to/from MySQL via HTTP

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 01:21:14 -0700, "'69 Camaro"
<ForwardZERO_SPAM.To.69Camaro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello, Lauren Wilson.

This is my first attempt at getting help in this manner.

It's your first time pretending to be Cheryl, but you've posted hundreds of
messages in this newsgroup when you asked for help as Lauren Wilson. We
didn't fall off the onion truck yesterday, you know. It was the day before.

Please
forgive me

A full tank of gas in my car might help sway me, but I think Lyle has bigger
aspirations.

I suddenly find myself in urgent need of instruction on how to
communicate with a MySQL database table on a web server, from inside
of my company's Access-VBA application.

That hidden DAP/ASP idea didn't work out? The one where you wanted to
manipulate records in the remote Access/SQL Server database on the Web from
your customers' MDE files, unbeknownst to the customer, in order to get the
licensing info to protect your intellectual property? Back to the drawing
board, I guess.

I need to be able to create new records, read from and update records
stored in a MySQL database on a web server FROM a client based Access
2003 application using VBA. The communication needs to be via HTTP or
HTTPS and the data can be transferred as XML.

So, with these requirements, the only thing that has changed is the database
engine. Correct? When you attempted to do this with SQL Server, did you
run into any problems? If not, then the only things you need to change are
the database driver (MyODBC), the connection string, and the SQL, because
SQL Server's T-SQL isn't quite the same dialect, but for simple adds,
deletes, and updates, it's not a stretch to learn MySQL's syntax.

You'll find an example connection string on the following Web page:

http://www.carlprothman.net/Default.aspx?tabid=90#ODBCDriverForMySQL

Download the MySQL reference manual for the SQL syntax from the following
Web page:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc

that
will help me learn to do these functions in the shortest possible
time.

I know that you don't want this advice, Lauren, but I'm going to offer it
anyway. Take the time to learn the technologies you are using. When
someone's approach to software development is "just spoon feed me enough to
get by," that developer doesn't get much background knowledge of the topic,
so can't foresee likely problems or decide on the best solutions. And when
a slightly complex problem pops up, the spoon-fed developer is going to be
stumped, with no idea what's wrong, let alone how to fix it.

To give you a head's up, your current strategy is most likely going to run
into a problem with port 3306. If it does, this will be a show stopper for
you. Start thinking of alternatives. And if any of your customers "spoof"
your online database on their own networks, your efforts will be for naught,
because your application won't be able to recognize that it's getting bogus
data from a bogus database, unless you specifically code for this.

I have been searching the web for this stuff but I am simply
overwhelmed with lots of loosely related items.

You're looking for shrink-wrapped VBA code snippets to do these online
database tasks, and you'll have a very hard time finding them. VBA isn't
the language of choice for most developers working with online MySQL
databases. Did you notice all those PHP/MySQL and Perl/MySQL tutorials on
the Web during your search? There's a good reason why there are so many.

I'm sorry to admit that my job is on the line with this project.

I have no idea if you're stretching the truth on this, too, but your
deadline must be looming, since you were assigned these tasks a month ago.
Has your company considered contracting with an experienced developer
instead of burdening you with these tasks? The job would be completed in
very little time. Unfortunately, if the developer is worth his salt, he'll
also advise your company on the wisdom of trying to protect your
intellectual property in this way, which it sounds like your company is not
interested in hearing.

Oh, and another piece of advice, Lauren: next time you post a message in
this newsgroup, check the name on your driver's license first. It may show
you which name to use.

Thank you Gunny. Actually, I'm using Lauren's PC. She is helping me
recover from a desperate family crisis. Lauren is out of the country
for about a month on business. She allowed me to use her office for
that time if I would help her with one of her projects. She told me I
might get some help from this group if I needed it. I hope I have not
offended anyone.*

As to the goal behind my question, it has nothing to do with any kind
of license thing at all. I'm really not sure what all that talk is
about. Lauren has many projects. What we're trying to do is create
a means of imbedding a form into an application that can be updated to
display certain user instructional announcements from records stored
on a MySQL database on a web server. The application is an
educational tool for a local volunteer group that mentors and guides
disadvantaged kids in our area. I think this is one of Lauren's
charity projects. I agreed to help her with this part of the project
in her absence. I hope I can get it done before she returns because
if I can, I will have a permanent job with one of Lauren's clients who
is also helping the school we're doing this for. I have been
unemployed for almost two years due to serious illness. This may be a
way to help pickup the pieces.

I apologize if I offended you.

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/expert_contributors2.html for contact
info.

"Cheryl Langdon" <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello everyone,

This is my first attempt at getting help in this manner. Please
forgive me if this is an inappropriate request.

I suddenly find myself in urgent need of instruction on how to
communicate with a MySQL database table on a web server, from inside
of my company's Access-VBA application. I know VBA pretty well but
have never before needed to do this HTTP/XML/MySQL type functions.

I need to be able to create new records, read from and update records
stored in a MySQL database on a web server FROM a client based Access
2003 application using VBA. The communication needs to be via HTTP or
HTTPS and the data can be transferred as XML. The table on the web
server is very simple. It has only 10 data fields with a single
column index.

Can any of you fine folks point me in the right direction for
self-tutorials in the form of sample code, articles, books, etc that
will help me learn to do these functions in the shortest possible
time. I'm sorry to admit that my job is on the line with this project.
I have been searching the web for this stuff but I am simply
overwhelmed with lots of loosely related items. Any help or guidance
will be very much appreciated.

--- Cheryl

  • Re: Re: Need info, books, articles,code, etc: Access VBA to XML to/from MySQL via HTTP
    ... read, update, add and delete records located in tables in a MySQL database ... on a Web server on the Internet directly from my desktop Access application, ... the workstation needs a secure shell client running in order to enable the ... the MySQL database on your workstation ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: Need info, books, articles,code, etc: Access VBA to XML to/from MySQL via HTTP
    ... manipulate records in the remote Access/SQL Server database on the Web from ... stored in a MySQL database on a web server FROM a client based Access ... get by," that developer doesn't get much background knowledge of the topic, ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: MySQL HTTP XML ODBC
    ... > Web hosting providers normally supply a MySQL database as part of the ... You can access your database by connecting to a MySQL server ... > * a custom ODBC driver would be created to process SQL and talk to our ... > web server using the XML messaging we have defined. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Nested PHP
    ... And at the third level I can set SQL permissions so that if a program bug renders than accessible, they cant be loaded with the SQL permissions the user has either. ... Simply uploading malware into the web server hierarchy wont change the way the site behaves. ... Code has to be uploaded through a custom interface that isn't even on the same site as the web server, and all code changes can be recorded in the same database. ... Code and data are separately modified through secure programs designed to allow just enough access to do the job. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Auto_new VBA to autoname a document and autosave to a specific
    ... Window's Registry. ... You say that it errors when coming across the first PrivateProfileString ... When a database is on a different server from the Web server. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.vba.general)