Re: Philly-To-London via Intranet?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per David W. Fenton:

I think you're assuming it's some kind of special box, whereas any
existing Win2K or Win2K3 is already a Terminal Server, by default.

I was - because it seemed like a multi-user terminal server would have to have a
lot of horsepower to handle multiple concurrent instances of MS Access. Seems
like that's a bigger load than just somebody having, say, 10 apps open on their
desktop because that person can only be exercising one app at a time - whereas
with the terminal server, it would have to be servicing everybody who is logged
on more-or-less simultaneously.

I have a client that had just upgraded their main server about the time I was recommending to test TS to them. They decided to use the old server as the TS server for the test. It was a P3-366 dual processor with 384 Mb RAM. We put 5 TS users on it and the response was quite reasonable. Some of the heavy processing parts of the app were slower than on their regular desktop, but these parts are used relatively infrequently. Regular data entry and report creation was as fast as it was on their local PCs.

--
Bri

  • Re: Terminal server client and old dos programs
    ... When running on the console, will it run in windowed mode, or only full screen? ... No full-screen for DOS applications in Terminal Server. ... >> can get is by simulating full-screen with a window that covers the entire ... >> non-admins can't run the app, then it's a permissions or rights issue. ...
  • Re: Detecting PC location through Terminal Services
    ... to deny access to our app from a specific workstation that may be at any of ... one of our developers was able to write a small app that ... or one of many other facilities. ... terminal server from, in a way that is passable to our custom ...
  • Re: Application caching
    ... Terminal Server is in Malaysia for users in Singapore). ... at the same time on each workstation. ... scenario) would be at a minimum *all* instances of the exe ... close the app properly but it still remain running with no ...
  • Re: Replication as a Performance Enhancer?
    ... An Access app hosted on a Terminal ... That's one of the beauties of Terminal Server -- it puts all the ... track of user selections (there is a local table with two fields: ... if I had code which created a temporary MDB file (for data ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: Limit TS users to One App
    ... Which OS are you running on the Terminal Server? ... Using Software Restriction Policies to Protect Against Unauthorized ... then you can use the Application Security Tool: ... > group policy settings to limit a user to one app via hiding ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps)