Re: How Intel Can Save the Itanium!

On Apr 2, 1:42 pm, a...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Anton Ertl) wrote:
already5cho...@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Taking into account that nearly 100% of both "high-end PPC" (by which
David probably meant IBM pSeries/p5) and Itanium Linux installations
run either Red Hat or SUSE

On what empirical basis do you make this claim?

I don't see how Debian statistics are
relevant.

Well, if you are right, and only those people use Debian on either of
these architectures that explicitly choose it, there seems to be no
particular selection bias, so the Debian popcon sample might be
representative of the whole population, in which case it is relevant.

But of course, if you have better statistics, you are welcome to
present them.

- anton
a...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Most things have to be believed to be seenhttp://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html

Leading Itanium vendors, i.e. HP, Fujitsu and SGI officially support
Red Hat and SUSE as OS options for their hardware. Those are the only
supported Linux distributions. Actually, on SGI hardware those are the
only supported OSes. Same for IBM p5 - Red Hat and SUSE are the only
distributions supported by IBM.

For Sun SPARC situation is not quite the same - Sun would sell you Red
Hat or SUSE Linux but support has to come directly from software
vendor rather than from Sun. Also only Niagara servers, telco blades
and ancient Ultra workstations are listed as Linux Certified/
Compatible. So for majority of "traditional" UltraSparc servers Debian
stays on almost even ground with RH/SUSE.

  • Re: Why are printers such a hassle?
    ... > and I looked them all up in the SuSE hardware database and NONE of them ... Yeah, linux loves quality hardware, the more expensive it is, ... > separate ink cartridges so I can return the printer with the original ... support serious. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [SLE] Redhat vs SuSE Debate
    ... Fedora Linux is the equivalent of Red Hat Linux, ... > always been targeted at small customers with lower support needs. ... >> considering SuSE. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Is linux free
    ... >Go to the websites of Redhat, Mandriva or mandrake, Suse, Mepis, etc. ... I don't use SUSE either, but ISO's for the open source version are here: ... For work, I use Red Hat Enterprise, and we pay for the yearly support ... >> just talking about the Linux content itself. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Linux Distribution Recomendation
    ... If you got the cash Red Hat is solid for support and very fast updates. ... I run several RSS feeds and read up to the minute security announcements ... and SuSe were still not ready to push out updates two days later according ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Future of Red Hat: Fedora or Enterprise?
    ... where support is to be expected. ... >> This 'core linux demographic' you are talking about is just what ... I'd frankly like to install an OS and never upgrade it again, ... >> SuSe is the better choice for the corporate ..'. ...
    (linux.redhat)