Re: program spartan3 under linux

On Aug 30, 4:47 pm, Thorsten Kiefer <tok...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Antti.Luk...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Aug 28, 12:51 am, Thorsten Kiefer <tok...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
I'm using the Xilinx Webpack 11.1, the Spartan3 StarterKit, and the
Digilent USB/JTAG cable.
I find ISE 11.1 too slow under Windows, so I want to use it with Linux..
My question is : is it possible to program the FPGA under Linux ?
Xilprg is too old. Export from digilent is discontinued and not available
for Linux.
Are there any alternatives ?

Best Regards
Thorsten

alternative:
do not use Digilent [ ]
Antti

I have some products with digilent on board usb and that doesnt work
on windows either
so i made a firm promise to me not to use the digilent cable whenever
possible
this doesnt include the XUP cable what is cloned xilinx platform
cable, that one work
as it is not designed by digilent

Hi,
thanks for the hint !
What FPGA vendor and development board would you suggest for
development on Linux ?

Best wishes
Thorsten- Hide quoted text -

some additions previous reply

1) in me previous post: "Xilinx USB Cable" means Xilinx USB Platform
Cable or any direct clones of it (made in china or by digilent)

2) soon to be announced U2TOOL uses FT245 and FPGA, and it has altera
usb blaster compatibility mode, this tool would work under linux (also
as Xilinx downloader), but my plans to support linux are also not so
immediate, it just costs too much money (time=money!) to develop for
linux, much more then providing tools that work in win boxes

usb blaster is like jtag eingine over usb-uart so the support for
linux should be simple (as long as FTDI drivers can be installed of
course)

Antti

  • Re: program spartan3 under linux
    ... I'm using the Xilinx Webpack 11.1, the Spartan3 StarterKit, and the ... Digilent USB/JTAG cable. ... I find ISE 11.1 too slow under Windows, so I want to use it with Linux.. ... programming cables etc ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: Experience with Xilinx Microblaze kit?
    ... I've only had a good play with the digilentinc xupv2pro + edk ... They talk about "evaluation" versions of numerous cores such as UARTs, ... but if Linux is ready-rolled... ... See if you can get xilinx to give you ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: best evm for virtex-4 and linux
    ... I was under the impression Xilinx ... I don't expect to be doing much Linux ... >> gets just ignored - DENX was doing lots of work towards PPC linux ... >> Setting up a new MicroBlaze uCLinux systems is just a piece of cake ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: Eval board advice
    ... I have worked on post-doc projects as an intern and back then, Xilinx was quite happy to sponsor projects that pushed the frontier of FPGA-based applications... ... As for the Digilent site, yes, it does list the price as $300 when you file the order but Digilent will call back to verify whether or not your school and yourself qualify for the reduced price. ... the FX12 board is still a good choice for those not eligible for the $300 XUP deal and/or are stuck with ISE WebPack. ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: multi-processor linux on xilinx
    ... frequently running in to the dead end at the monte vista site which has ... paid for gives me pause and should cause Xilinx to shake their head too. ... open source repositories. ... Earlier this week I yet again compiled Linux from scratch for the ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)