Re: ML403, U-Boot+Linux and Ethernet?

Philipp Hachtmann wrote:
Hi folks,

Hi,

I could need some help with my board's network setup (hardware and Linux and U-Boot drivers).

This is my situation:

I currently have a Xilinx ML403 board (With Virtex4 FX12) sitting on my desk.
I have an EDK 10.1 system which already worked with simple standalone applications.
I managed to use crostool to build a working cross toolchain (with gcc-4.2.4 and glibc-2.3.6).
Then I downloaded vanilla Linux 2.6.25.11 from kernel.org. It took me a while to get the kernel run on my system. I also had to do some little changes to get the whole thing together.

I now have a running Linux 2.6.25.11 kernel in an ace file together with the design. I can mount a root filesystem from systemace and play around via serial (ns16550) console. That's it.

What I want is a full-featured box with ethernet support in Linux and U-boot (which I like and want to use as well).

I found some linux ethernet drivers in the EDK directory:
emac_v1_00_e
emac_v1_00_f
emac_v1_01_a
emac_v1_11_a
gemac_v1_00_f
lltemac_linux_2_6_v1_00_a
temac_linux_2_6_v1_00_a
temac_linux_2_6_v2_00_b
temac_linux_2_6_v2_00_c

EDK offers me the following ethernet related modules:
xps_ll_temac
xps_ethernetlite
hard_temac

U-Boot (latest git snapshot) comes with
xilinx_emac.c
xilinx_emaclite.c

There is also a U-Boot Version 1.1.4 from Xilinx out there which has quite a lot of Xilinx specific support (Though I must admit, that I haven't had a look at the current u-boot-git.

I also remember that I once used an xps_ethernetlite or emaclite (sone "light" thing) with µCLinux on microblaze (Petalinux).

Now the questions:

Might there be a software compatibility between different emac and temac modules?

What should I use? How do things plug together?

I do use the HardTemac as it saves some BRAMs and Slices (and I am always lacking those ;-))

How do I correctly set up the FX12's Tri-mode Emac with Linux and U-Boot?

I think the Linuxppcembedded-Mailinglist might be a more convenient and informative place to ask this.

Are there drivers readily available?

XPS does generate some drivers, others are in Xilinx's U-Boot.

Or do I have to combine something new?

I appreciate every hint, link, information, clarifying question and so on!
Thanks a lot!

Ok, here is a really good Link for ML403 and Linux:
Grant Likely's Secretlab: www.secretlab.ca

Best wishes,

Philipp :-)

Regards,

Lorenz

  • Re: Which Linux Distro to use for Xilinx tools
    ... May any body tell me, Any Linux Distro (other then commercial, like ... components(ISE, EDK, sysgen Matlab, chipscope etc). ... It is a known issue, for VMware at least, that the Xilinx USB programmer does not work reliably with the Xilinx drivers installed within a virtual machine. ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • ML403, U-Boot+Linux and Ethernet?
    ... I could need some help with my board's network setup (hardware and Linux and U-Boot drivers). ... I have an EDK 10.1 system which already worked with simple standalone applications. ... What I want is a full-featured box with ethernet support in Linux and U-boot. ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: linux 2.4 v 2.6 on xilinx
    ... The xilinx free uart-lite core is easy to get working. ... which contained u-boot. ... Xilinx has ethernet cores. ... linux driver, 2.4 or 2.6, for any of Xilinx's cores. ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: linux 2.4 v 2.6 on xilinx
    ... The xilinx free uart-lite core is easy to get working. ... which contained u-boot. ... Xilinx has ethernet cores. ... linux driver, 2.4 or 2.6, for any of Xilinx's cores. ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: Opinions about the NXP LPC3000
    ... Phytec at least contains U-Boot 1.1.1 and Linux ... Guess I sounded a bit too harsh, but that port really doesn't help a lot. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)