Looking for advice regarding project

Hi all,
I am doing a course on Artificial Intelligence in my college and the
book that we are following is AI: A modern Approach.
So by the end of the course we will gain knowledge of the topic that
are in that book.
In this course we are required to so a project, anything of our
choice.
Also I will be doing a project on AI in summers also.
This is my first encounter with AI and I am loving it.
So I was hoping that you could suggest some project for me that I can
complete in one semester and then build upon it in the future.
I have tried lookin it upon the net but of no use.

Your advice would be really helpful.
Thanks,
Vishal.
Second year Undergraduate.
IIT Kanpur

[ comp.ai is moderated ... your article may take a while to appear. ]
.