Re: Why don't we have a stong AI by now? (To Curt Welch and other)

On Aug 12, 2:24 am, Doc O'Leary <droleary.use...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
An ant does a lot of things based on genetic programming
and simple reflex behavior. A bee might be a better example,
but in any case you *do* have to show that there is some
mental model in place that can reasonably be said to "think"
in a manner that can reasonably be said to be "intelligent".

You seem to be talking about a mechansim.

I think intelligence can be decomposed into something more
specific than "a brain".

I don't define it as a brain, it is a behavior. But again I
see you as wanting to define it by some mechanism.

Indeed, the whole field of AI is *supposed* be be based on
the notion that "a brain" is not necessary.

Yes the idea that a machine can *behave* intelligently.

But you seem to want to say behavior X is only intelligent
if caused by mechanism Z?

If you *only* measure intelligence at the point the "what it
does" changes, you are really missing the BIG picture when
it comes to understanding intelligence.

Intelligent behavior obviously requires mechanisms and you
seem to be talking about understanding the mechanisms.

jc

  • Re: Sickening.............
    ... Bee wrote: ... >> sieve...similar to how your brain holds any knowledge. ... And what gave you the impression that you were amoung sugar substitutes, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Sickening.............
    ... Bee, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to use, wrote: ... >> sieve...similar to how your brain holds any knowledge. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: If we are a nasty country why do so many wish to come here?
    ... "Eric the half a bee" wrote in message ... 'Eric the half a brain'! ... Given that you a such a thicko it is a real compliment coming from you:))) ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: An AVLV Analysis
    ... SAD PART IS EACH TIME YOU WIPE, YA LOOSE BRAIN SELLS!!! ... IT BEE OVEOUS!@!! ...
    (alt.vacation.las-vegas)