Weird thought on misuse of a GDG.

Perhaps I didn't get enought sleep during staff meeting, ah I mean last night. But I just had the weirdest thought enter my head. There have been many complaints about the limit of 255 entries in a GDG. Now, I won't debate that at all. But how many people who want more actually need to address the older GDG levels by "goovoo" number, or do GDG-ALL processing on them? If you have an application where you don't want GDG-ALL, and don't really need to access older GDG levels by relative generation number, what about defining the GDG with a LIMIT of 255 and NOSCRATCH? In the old world of CVOL processes, old GDGs "fell off" and became uncatalogued. But in today's world, without SCRATCH in the definition, the oldest GDG does not get scratched. It gets "rolled off" the GDG base and becomes a "normal" cataloged dataset entry. So it stays in the catalog, and can be referenced by absolute name. I wonder if this would ever be of some use to anyone.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone *
john.mckown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * www.HealthMarkets.com

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message may contain confidential or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. HealthMarkets(r) is the brand name for products underwritten and issued by the insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets, Inc. -The Chesapeake Life Insurance Company(r), Mid-West National Life Insurance Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company.SM

send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

  • Re: How to get Operator Log
    ... And if you put MVS up again and check MVS log, ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: QUESTION ABOUT ICKDSF - ICK31505I
    ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ... send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO ...
    ... erase or destroy the material. ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ... send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: QUESTION ABOUT ICKDSF - ICK31505I
    ... erase or destroy the material. ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ... send email to lists...@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Inexperienced RBS tech operatives blunder led to banking meltdown
    ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ... send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)