Need to make a catalog entry for a SMS managed Virtual tape

Hi,
Had a group of SMS managed virtual tapes be accidently scratched and I'm
trying to recreate the entries. Updated CA-1 okay and the tapes are
still on the stacked drives and marked private there, but my question
is around the MVS catalog entry. I tried to do IDCAMS "define nonvsam
name, decivetype and volume" entries and then use alter rollin to
re-attach them to the base but alter won't work because they're not SMS
managed. Define Nonvsam would let me include SMS constructs, and I
can't "alter" it a SMS storage class either.

There has to be a way to make a MVS catalog entry of a tape gdg, and
then roll it into the base.

What have I forgot?

Jim

send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

  • Re: Tape retention question
    ... This question is more about the tapes we created years ago before we went ... to an SMS enviornment and how do sites "clean-up" tapes that sit for ... Re: Tape retention question ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: 3592 standalone drives at DR Site
    ... I talked with my SMS guy. ... It turns out that we have never written to 3590-1 tapes during our DR exercise. ... As a result of this discussion this will be on our agenda for the next DR exercise. ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: 3592 standalone drives at DR Site
    ... I talked with my SMS guy. ... It turns out that we have never written to 3590-1 tapes during our DR ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ... send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: VTS Migration
    ... if your tapes are SMS manages then esoterics are not used, ... This comment excludes HSM access. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Duplicate Computers in Query Results
    ... >How many entries does each client have in the PC_BIOS ... Is this on SMS ... >Due to Duplicate GUIDs or firmware change, ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.inventory)