Re: HFS file questions

Hi Linda,

"USS" - meaning Unix System Services, not the VTAM term Unformatted Session Services :-))

Ok, an example.

Say I want to expand HLQ.MY.HFS mounted at '/usr/lpp/my' and I'm at a point of time where I can unmount that file temporarily.

Create HLQ.MY.COPY.HFS with more space. Create directory '/temp' in the sysplex ROOT (actually I always have a few of these temporary mount points in case I need them).

Mount HLQ.MY.COPY.HFS at 'temp'.

Go into TSO ISH and select "Run shell command(SH)" from the "Tools" pull down.

On the command screen, enter:

/samples/copytree -a /usr/lpp/my /temp

This will copy all of the files to the new file. When complete, unmount HLQ.MY.HFS from '/usr/lpp/my', unmount HLQ.MY.COPY.HFS from '/temp'.
Delete or rename HLQ.MY.HFS then rename HLQ.MY.COPY.HFS to HLQ.MY.HFS and mount it at '/usr/lpp/my' and you're done.

You do all of this from TSO OMVS also, if you prefer.

You can see more details about the 'copytree' process by entering 'man copytree' on the "Run shell commands(SH)" screen or the OMVS prompt.

Dick Bond
Department of Information Services
CSD Production Support
DickB@xxxxxxxxxx

Notice: This document contains information about the infrastructure and security of the state of Washington’s computer and telecommunication networks. Please make every effort to control access to this document and the information within it. All or part of this document may be exempt from public disclosure pursuant to RCW 42.56.420 (1) and (4). Please immediately direct any requests for public disclosure of all or part of this document to the DIS public disclosure officer at: publicdisclosure@xxxxxxxxxx