Re: AMATERSE: AMA574I. Wrong message?

On 24 March 2010 13:32, Yifat Oren <yifat@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I have recieved some TERSED SMF records and am unable to UNPACK them.

Without specifying DCB attributes for the output, the error message I get
is:

AMA574I  RECORD FOUND IS LONGER THAN THE LRECL
AMA555I  THE VALUES ARE:  BLKSIZE= 8760    LRECL=8756    PACKTYPE=PACK

From System Messages:
   Explanation:
   For the UNPACK operation, the length of the record restored is longer
than the record length of the output data set.

I wonder if it's VBS...

Trying to overcome the error and assuming the LRECL=8756 is erroneous, I
have specified LRECL=32767 for the output data set (SYSUT2), but still get
the same error:

AMA544I  OUTPUT LRECL IS:  32756     ORIGINAL LRECL IS: 8756
AMA574I  RECORD FOUND IS LONGER THAN THE LRECL
AMA555I  THE VALUES ARE:  BLKSIZE= 32760   LRECL=32756   PACKTYPE=PACK

I think AMATERSE is giving me the wrong error message, as it is not possible
that it actually found a record longer than 32,756 (RECFM is VB, not
spanned).  Or am I missing something?

Please post the first 12 bytes of the tersed file in hex. The original
LRECL is in bytes 2-3, and the original blocksize in bytes 6-7. Byte 1
will be 00 for RECFM=F, and 01 for U or V. Then byte 4 has flags that
encode other aspects of RECFM: x8 = B, 1x = S, and various others. If
you have 1C in byte 4, and byte 1 is 01, then you have a VBS, and
something is probably confused.

(This header info is all just from inspection, and is doubtless
incomplete or quite possibly wrong.)

Tony H.

send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO