Re: AMATERSE: AMA574I. Wrong message?

On 24 March 2010 13:32, Yifat Oren <yifat@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I have recieved some TERSED SMF records and am unable to UNPACK them.

Without specifying DCB attributes for the output, the error message I get
is:

AMA574I  RECORD FOUND IS LONGER THAN THE LRECL
AMA555I  THE VALUES ARE:  BLKSIZE= 8760    LRECL=8756    PACKTYPE=PACK

From System Messages:
   Explanation:
   For the UNPACK operation, the length of the record restored is longer
than the record length of the output data set.

I wonder if it's VBS...

Trying to overcome the error and assuming the LRECL=8756 is erroneous, I
have specified LRECL=32767 for the output data set (SYSUT2), but still get
the same error:

AMA544I  OUTPUT LRECL IS:  32756     ORIGINAL LRECL IS: 8756
AMA574I  RECORD FOUND IS LONGER THAN THE LRECL
AMA555I  THE VALUES ARE:  BLKSIZE= 32760   LRECL=32756   PACKTYPE=PACK

I think AMATERSE is giving me the wrong error message, as it is not possible
that it actually found a record longer than 32,756 (RECFM is VB, not
spanned).  Or am I missing something?

Please post the first 12 bytes of the tersed file in hex. The original
LRECL is in bytes 2-3, and the original blocksize in bytes 6-7. Byte 1
will be 00 for RECFM=F, and 01 for U or V. Then byte 4 has flags that
encode other aspects of RECFM: x8 = B, 1x = S, and various others. If
you have 1C in byte 4, and byte 1 is 01, then you have a VBS, and
something is probably confused.

(This header info is all just from inspection, and is doubtless
incomplete or quite possibly wrong.)

Tony H.

send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

  • AMATERSE: AMA574I. Wrong message?
    ... I have recieved some TERSED SMF records and am unable to UNPACK them. ... Without specifying DCB attributes for the output, ... than the record length of the output data set. ... I think AMATERSE is giving me the wrong error message, ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: AMATERSE: AMA574I. Wrong message?
    ... I have recieved some TERSED SMF records and am unable to UNPACK them. ... AMA574I RECORD FOUND IS LONGER THAN THE LRECL ... than the record length of the output data set. ... I think AMATERSE is giving me the wrong error message, ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)