Re: Item on TPF

IBM was about to sunset VSE a few years ago until it found out that in
mainland China, VSE was the operating system of choice.

Given their population, I don't think it will be disappearing anytime soon.

And to think it all was just a mistake from the beginning.

Back in the days when 3rd generation was "about to walk upon the scene" and
OS was being developed by an outside source, IBM was concerned it was too
big an undertaking and I might never even come into existence.

So that they would not lose the chance to steal the market from UNIVAC which
was the vendor of choice in those days and the favorite to win the 3rd
generation race to the marketplace, they hastily developed DOS internally
just in case and brought it out first.

Unfortunately, it has always lacked at least one major control block, the
DEB and so tech support has always been shackled with the burden of manually
keeping track of every cylinder and track.

Though now it has been mitigated.

Something OS bigots refer to as the DOS mentality.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Frank Swarbrick <